Identification

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Identification

Post by Stuart »

The photo looks like one of the Lambs colour photos they used to print on their John Bull Printing Kit in Worthing. I always wondered how they did it.

Stuart
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

I am using Picture Resizer version 6 Because posting pictyures on the Forum is like the stone age and insults do not help!
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Why you are using Picture Resizer to make your photo so small I cannot imagine!
You may be able to notice that my 'enlargement' of your 148x127 photo is actually 980x886 pixels, that is, it contains 48 times as many pixels.
So if you post a picture of that size eg 980x886 pixels then people might be able to help with your identification.
Otherwise, I doubt help will be possible.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

I am not a photo anorak so I only have that resizer and have for some years.
I should not have to go to any trouble to do a simple thing, why do we still tolerate this stoneage system.
I do not remember having any trouble posting pictures on some of the other picture sites.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

How exactly sharing a tiny, resized image differ from sharing the original one? Even if you had troubles with rotated photographs, they're much more useful, and can easily be opened in a new page to display correctly, than what you've posted.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=165491, I've personally never had problems with sharing images larger than the resolution mentioned in that post.
Last edited by MatDz on Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Within 5 minutes of taking a photograph today I had downloaded it onto the forum site. O.K. its not the finest picture you may ever clap your eyes on BUT considering that I am a complete novice with anything to do with a computer
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Can we keep comments civil, please.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

hello Geoff
have you tried croping your photos. that is how I manage to post pictures. not always the best quality, though seems to be working for me .
might be worth a try.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

fero wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:29 pm hello Geoff
have you tried croping your photos. that is how I manage to post pictures. not always the best quality, though seems to be working for me .
might be worth a try.
That's my approach too.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Hi Geoff,
Ignore the negative comments.
Picture Resizer 6 seems to produce default file sizes of 400 pixels height or width, or smaller, depending upon exactly how it is set up. This is very small for current screens.
Unless you can change the settings to produce (say) around 800 pixels to 1200 pixels, this won't produce images that are especially suitable for this forum.
There are plenty of other resizing options available.
If you open a photo in Windows Explorer and press right click on your mouse, you will (probably!) get a menu including "Resize". Select this and then "M Best for emails or messages", or "C Define Custom Dimensions" followed by entering (say) 1000 as width or height. Then save to your chosen directory. I like to rename files with Sm or Med etc added to the filenames so when saving I know they have been resized.
This depends on if you are using windows(!) and what version. Hope it helps.
Ed