ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

ID please

Post by Eric Williams »

I have been asked to give this plant some TLC. Can any one ID It please. It is 16 inches high and 3 inches diameter, with small white flowers at apex. It seems to be over potted as it is extremely unstable when given to me. Thank you
F11E3D5A-B95A-45C4-8EF0-0D894DC31E18.jpeg
Attachments
A45CBA84-1D39-4ED1-93EF-55DEAD010861.jpeg
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ID please

Post by Tony R »

Looks like the white-flowered form of Mammillaria backebergiana (more usually has red-purple flowers)?
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Yes, I absolutely agree with Tony that this is the white flowered form of Mamm backebergiana. It naturally forms columnar stems, but the plant in the pix does look as if it may have suffered from lack of light at some stages of its life. Many plants with an upright or columnar tendency can be difficult because they become top heavy. If an elongated or columnar plant is repotted into a larger pot it can often take a while before the plant spreads its roots and becomes self supporting, so supports of some sort are frequently necessary....
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks both for your expert advice. The owner does not have a green house, so the lack of good light seems to be the problem. When’re potted I will use a stake until it has settled. Cheers