Cleistocactus x Matucana hybrid

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cleistocactus x Matucana hybrid

Post by Mike »

Back in January 2015 I sowed some seed that I had bought as Cleistocactus strausii x Matucana madisoniorum.
Most of the resulting plants are sickly, yellow-green bodied columnar plants that seem very reluctant to keep their roots. But one is noticeably more healthy and vigorous - perhaps three times the size of its siblings, and has finally just flowered. I'm not sure it looks that much like either parent, but the flowers are a really good deep magenta, and certainly more widely open than C. strausii.
I wonder does anyone else have an Clesistocactus x Matucana hybrids that have flowered, to compare this one to?
CxM.jpg
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cleistocactus x Matucana hybrid

Post by el48tel »

Interesting looking plant and flowers.
I've been trying very unsuccessfully to make such crosses.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

Lovely flowers and nice to see a cereus type flowering. It looks to me more like a Cleistocactus x Oreocereus, but short of testing it we will h ave to take it on face value.

We have a hybrid Cleistocactus x Morawetzia which is flowering very well for us at the moment but is not an erect plant, it sprawls around and could do with a trim. Perhaps you would like a cutting, it came from Terry Smale originally, it got too big for him.

PM me if you are interested.

Suzanne
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

I looked at the label and realised that my previous post was wrong the bybrid is between a Matucana and Bolivicereus samaipatanus, or so it states.

Suzanne