Flower variation in Lobivias

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Flower variation in Lobivias

Post by Paul D »

Touching two recent themes on the forum- Lobivias, and natural variation- here are two seedlings from the same source, of Lobivia haematantha var. hualfinensis "fechseri" WR230. I have a red one too but it's not flowering at the moment.
And also, two Lobivia cardenasiana R498, also from the same source, with different flower shapes. The yellow one is Lobivia arachnacantha.
Attachments
L_haematantha_hualfinensis_fechseri_WR230 sm.jpg
L_cardenasiana_R498_arachnacantha.jpg
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Flower variation in Lobivias

Post by Ross M »

Nice photos Paul👍 Lobivias really do have some fantastic flowers, both in colour range and shape. It's just a pity that they don't last a bit longer before fading. I guess the plants have to effectively put a great deal of resource into flower production. I find that thirsty small plants can sometimes suffer greatly on a hot sunny day in the greenhouse when they have more than one flower open as the flowers appear to act like wicks, effectively draining the smaller plant body of moisture. Whilst cactus bodies are usually supremely adapted to avoid moisture loss, it appears that their flowers often aren't. It's a hard life being a plant, I guess!
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.