Top shelf plants???

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ross M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Top shelf plants???

Post by Ross M »

Although I was determined to keep my new greenhouse shelf-less, I succumbed to the (potentially silly) idea of putting a shelf above the door. It's 30" long by 10" wide and about 8' above ground level. So what I expect to be able to see up there without stilts, heaven knows🙄 But I do in reality have small steps for viewing/access.

Anyway, as it's up near the apex and effectively in the brightest, hottest and airless corner of the greenhouse I imagine scorch would be a big potential risk. Can anyone provide suggestions for what I could actually grow up there without running the risk of cultivating fried eggs? Or should I put my sensible hat back on and just take it down?

Thanks
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Aiko
BCSS Member

Re: Top shelf plants???

Post by Aiko »

Can't you put some shading cloth above it?
If you already have made room for plants, just get the plants to put them there!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

In my opinion Ariocarpus love top shelf treatment. The late Rene Giesler had many dozens of Arios literally inches from the glass. I followed his advice thinking they would fry, but I was rewarded with fine Unmarked marked plants. Downside is you cannot admire them at that hight. The shelf was also positioned very close to a vent.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

If you would like some Ariocarpus to put up there Ross I can send you some, free of course, you've always been very generous to me.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

How about Hildewinterias? In time, it will save you having to brush your hair before walking out to the greenhouse. And you should get to see some super flowers.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Stomatiums.
Cheshire, UK
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Thanks all for your replies. I guess shading would be a good practical solution but reckon that it would likely have an adverse overall effect here in Scotland, given our limited number of truly sunny days. The auto hair brush also sounds good but it's been a while since I bothered with preening my locks 😂

I do like the idea of trying some Ariocarpus up there, a genus I've not really grown before so am going to take Nick up on his very kind offer and see how it goes. Thanks Nick 👍
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.