Differences between "T. valdezianus" and "T. valdezianus v. albiflorus"

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
yonnoy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Differences between "T. valdezianus" and "T. valdezianus v. albiflorus"

Post by yonnoy »

Hello, it's known that T. valdezianus is 3-5 cm high and 1-2 cm in diameter and I've read that T. valdezianus v. albiflorus is bigger, but I don't know how much.

Do you know all the other differences between "T. valdezianus" and "T. valdezianus v. albiflorus"? (without considering the color of the flowers). I have some of them but they're too small yet.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Differences between "T. valdezianus" and "T. valdezianus v. albiflorus"

Post by iann »

I haven't noticed any size difference between var valdezianus and var albiflorus. Var albiflorus appears less densely-spined, with more of the green body visible. I haven't counted if there is an actual difference in the spine counts, but the appearance is quite distinct. Flowers are different obviously. Here's two plants that show what I'm describing.
valdezianus-0412.jpg
valdezianus-0405.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Maybe the flowering sequence is a bit different. But probably not much, if at all. I get the idea the white flowering ones are a bit earlier than the pink ones. But that needs to be observed for many years in a row, but it might just as well be the other way around in other years.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

The best way to tell them apart out of flower is supposedly that albiflorus plants have a yellow centre to the areole, pink flowered plants are white, I think this does just about show up in Ian's photos above, but I'm not certain how reliable it is. Its not something I have particularly studied, just something I have picked up along the way.
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.