Mammillaria albiflora

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria albiflora

Post by iann »

Or not? These flowers aren't quite what I was expecting.
albiflora-0620.jpg
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Re: Mammillaria albiflora

Post by iann »

This is one of my favourite species because of its normally spectacular flowers. Like these:
albiflora-0525b.jpg
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

M. herrerae in my opinion. Alternatively a hybrid, but I don't know if they hybridise.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Nice plant though
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Charlie Glass spent decades exploring the cacti of Mexico, and he determined that M. herrerae and M. albliflora were separate species. That's good enough for me. M. herrerae originates from the Mexican state of Queretero, and M. albiflora is from the state of Guanajuato. What evidence does KarlR have to suggest that they are the same species, or even to suggest that such isolated populations might be able to hybridise? Amateur and uninformed speculation adds nothing to the debate.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

David Neville wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 pm Charlie Glass spent decades exploring the cacti of Mexico, and he determined that M. herrerae and M. albliflora were separate species. That's good enough for me. M. herrerae originates from the Mexican state of Queretero, and M. albiflora is from the state of Guanajuato. What evidence does KarlR have to suggest that they are the same species, or even to suggest that such isolated populations might be able to hybridise? Amateur and uninformed speculation adds nothing to the debate.
Sheesh, relax. I never suggested they are the same species.

And read Ian's first post again. You'll notice he writes "Or not?" as a question to his thread title. The plant in the first photo is not albiflora but herrerae, hence my reply. Many species of cacti will hybridise in captivity as I'm sure you know, even if they'll never do so in habitat. The plant in the first photo has slightly lighter coloured flowers than I'd expect from herrerae, and coupled with Ian's question of whether this is albiflora as its flowers are not what he expected, I added the possibility it could be a hybrid. I don't think it is, I think it is a herrerae.
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Wow. Perhaps you should read your post again. You absolutely said that it is M herrerae in your opinion.... That means you think it is the same species!
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

My post was in reply to Ian's first photo because he wonders whether that plant is albiflora. The second photo is clearly albiflora.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

It isn't M. herrerae. They're quite distinct and this isn't it, spines, body, and roots are all M. albiflora. The flower, on the other hand ... a hybrid is a possibility, but if anything the flowers are even smaller than M. herrerae.
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

You know your own plant best, Ian. I personally wouldn't have labelled it albiflora if it was my plant. The flower is too untypical of albiflora in my view. The flower colour seems sort of half way between the two, but I think the flower size and shape, the arrangement of the stamens, and the colour and shape of the stigma all suggest herrerae.

I'll grant you the body shape is albiflora. I can't see any difference in the spination but I'll take your word for it. It's been too many years since I last repotted mine to remember their roots in detail. I recall albiflora as having long tap roots.

Of course, it might be an albiflora with aberrant flowers. I notice the anthers lack pollen. Or a hybrid, though again I don't know if they hybridise. It's an interesting and pretty plant in any case, whether it's albiflora or not.