ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

ID please

Post by Eric Williams »

Can
E1E0CE47-C318-4E37-A339-EF07180C0DCD.jpeg
anyone please ID this plant that was found discarded on a rubbish tip. Thank you. Apologies for incorrect orientation
fero
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: ID please

Post by fero »

Possibly a very sad Echeveria glauca.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

The way that adventitous roots are growing from the wider, upper piece of stem, suggests that the narrower section below may be dead. If it is, cut off the dead section. The top is already rooting, so no problems there. If that lower section is still alive, I'd repot lower so that the new roots are in the compost.
If the lower section is dead, check that there isn't a vine weevil grub in, eating its way upwards.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks both for your interesting comments.Just wondered if removing and trying to root the offset at plant apex would be possible. Thanks
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I can't make out an offset, Eric. In general, the offset will grow much faster while still attached to the mother plant, so I wouldn't remove too quickly. The leaves all look somewhat shrivelled so getting it re-hydrated first would make sense. If the lower stem is dead, it needs removing and the head re-planting. Once it's taken up water and the offset is a decent size, it should root easily. Having said that, glauca tends to look much better as a clump than a single stem. It's pretty hardy, even outdoors, as long as it's not too wet. I've seen large clumps outdoors in the Pennine foothills here in Sheffield, under the canopy of an evergreen tree.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525