under the bench...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rcapra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

under the bench...

Post by rcapra »

Dear ones, I need your advice because some plants are now too bulky to be kept on the bench. My greenhouse faces south and the benches are about one meter deep and about 90 centimeters high.
May I at least cultivate the mammillaries under the front bench?
Thanks for your kind opinion, Ruggero
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: under the bench...

Post by Aiko »

Your light intensities will probably be much higher than for most of us in northern western Europe. If you put them under the benches on the side where still a lot of direct sunlight will be for most of the day, I am sure they will be fine. Just need to be a bit more careful when watering, as the pots might dry out a bit less fast.

Also be aware any pots on the ground could attract an ant colony that like to live in the pot. At least that happens in my greenhouse. Not a big problem, but still makes a mess.
rcapra
BCSS Member

Re: under the bench...

Post by rcapra »

Thanks Aiko for your kind reply. In principle, my problem is to contain the sun exposure to avoid sunburn (even with important ventilation). Great advice to keep plants off the floor to avoid ant colonies.