Last of the pictures for now

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Sylvia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Member

Last of the pictures for now

Post by Sylvia »

Hildewintera eos
Hildewintera eos
Hildewintera prima prima
Hildewintera prima prima
Hildewintera unknown
Hildewintera unknown
General view of Hildewinteras
General view of Hildewinteras
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Last of the pictures for now

Post by Stuart »

There's not many people growing columnar hybrids, maybe because they're not often seen in nurseries, in addition there's probably a few years between buying a named hybrid and waiting to see if you've bought the correct plant. I've only got a few that I've been given in the US and the flowers are large but not pretty like yours. You've clearly taken care to find the best looking plants and they're superb. Thanks for showing them here.

Stuart
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Indeed. Amazing display.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thanks for sharing .... and inspiring
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Sylvia
BCSS Member

Post by Sylvia »

Hi Stuart, I agree with what you say about the columnar Hildewinteras I have been growing them for sometime now and I still have a few that have not flowered as yet so I cannot check the authenticity of their names. I haven't bought any new ones for a while now as haven't seen any for sale. I have got a few columnar ones in my collection that are quite small and flowering this year. Of course there are a number that are branching and flower earlier I have these in hanging baskets or stand them on an upturned pot. The late Terry Smale a good friend of mine gave me some seed from crossings he had done and they have grown well they were all branching ones and I treasure them although the flowers don't differ much.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:45 pm There's not many people growing columnar hybrids, maybe because they're not often seen in nurseries, in addition there's probably a few years between buying a named hybrid and waiting to see if you've bought the correct plant. I've only got a few that I've been given in the US and the flowers are large but not pretty like yours. You've clearly taken care to find the best looking plants and they're superb. Thanks for showing them here.

Stuart
A perfect summary and I couldn't agree more!

Is the plant flowering behind 'Prima Prima' another Hildewintera or a Trichocereus hybrid?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Sylvia
BCSS Member

Post by Sylvia »

It is another Hildewintera Stuart.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I find the few columnar Hildewinterias I have tend to grow more horizontally than vertically, which makes them take up a lot of space. The flowers are really worth it though!
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk