William's Cactus NEGATIVE review  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: William's Cactus NEGATIVE review

Post by esp »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 pm
esp wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:01 pm Since you have applied to PayPal to escalate the matter, and their due process gives you a date by which they will have carried out their investigation, would it not be right to wait, and allow this to happen before blackening the business, for which you could be considered as being libellous.
If MatDz's original post is purely a list of actual occurrences, how can it be libelous?
Libel requires a false statement to have been made.
Giving a negative review with reasonable justification is not libel.
Until we know the outcome of the PayPal investigation. we are NOT in possession of all of the facts.
1. we only have MatDz's version
2. the company has the right to reply
3. it would be better to take a real legal opinion
4. TonyR's suggestion makes sense
Are saying if we are unhappy with customer service we shouldn't post about it here?
In response to your points :
1. Are you implying MatDz is lying?
2. Unless MatDz is lying, the company has had plenty of time to respond to him
3. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure "Libel requires a false statement to have been made" is correct.
I'm not planning on participating in any legal action over this, I'm just posting on a forum post.
Getting a "real legal opinion" seems like overkill for that purpose.
4. A phone call could be a good next step, but it shouldn't have been required.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

esp wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:46 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 pm
esp wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:13 pm
If MatDz's original post is purely a list of actual occurrences, how can it be libelous?
Libel requires a false statement to have been made.
Giving a negative review with reasonable justification is not libel.
Until we know the outcome of the PayPal investigation. we are NOT in possession of all of the facts.
1. we only have MatDz's version
2. the company has the right to reply
3. it would be better to take a real legal opinion
4. TonyR's suggestion makes sense
Are saying if we are unhappy with customer service we shouldn't post about it here?
In response to your points :
1. Are you implying MatDz is lying?
2. Unless MatDz is lying, the company has had plenty of time to respond to him
3. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure "Libel requires a false statement to have been made" is correct.
I'm not planning on participating in any legal action over this, I'm just posting on a forum post.
Getting a "real legal opinion" seems like overkill for that purpose.
4. A phone call could be a good next step, but it shouldn't have been required.
In brief
1 I said nor implied no such words
2 opinion not fact
3 I'm not legally qualified
4 would be my first option
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

I am not sure its a good idea to start these threads until all avenues of communication have been explored.There may be very good reasons why hes not communicating. I absolutely understand the frustration but before a dealer is condemned perhaps more efforts are needed. I have tried ringing his mobile. No reply. His facebook page has not been updated for several weeks so maybe there's an acceptable reason for whats going on(or not as the case may be).
Warnings about a possible bad dealer are a good idea but only after its clear there is good reason to black them.
Hope it gets sorted soon. :sad:

An example of a good dealer. recently I had a bad plant arrive via ebay. Complained and was immediately refunded with no request to return the plant.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
fero
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by fero »

As Chris said I hope he's alright. I've bought plants from him in the past, mainly selling on plants from someone's collection. Good plants.
Never purchased from the Web site as stated its not updated.
Calling him sounds like good advice. Always was decent with me.
I've met him a couple of times at auctions, never been to his nursery.
Hope you get it all sorted.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

I saw Craig on 26th June at the Bristol Branch plant fare at Portishead. He was in good form and as well as cacti and succulents, he also had some BEF pots for sale. Upon chatting with him I discovered that he’d taken over the BEF pots from Manchester branch, and consequently I announced this in the July eNews. His contact details were given there.

I suggest that the OP tries to phone him as often emails end up in junk (as I have found that seems to be happening with increasing frequency these days) or even doesn’t get through as it’s stopped by span filters depending on which email provider one uses.

Cheers
Al
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I won't be quoting the exact comments, so just a few points on the legal side:
  • A review is a personal opinion by definition;
  • Of course listed events present only my side of the story, but there was a month and a half to reply to at least one of my emails;
  • Again, a month and a half is more than enough to react to multiple attempts of communication via two different media;
  • I don't like to speak through phone, especially if other means of communication are officially published on the website;
  • Order emails are not landing in the spam folders; the same for subsequent communication from the same email accounts;
  • PayPal is the (second to, before small claims court) last resort to sort this out, I don't feel like I need to wait for a resolution from them to express my opinion.
I understand the C&S community might be rather small, but there's nothing to hide here.

I'm more than open to sort this out somehow, but lost my faith at this point.
Mat
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

MatDz wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 pm [*] I don't like to speak through phone, especially if other means of communication are officially published on the website;
It is a mobile number and you could text him. No need to speak. It could lead to getting your order, isn't it worth trying?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:01 pm would it not be right to wait, and allow this to happen before blackening the business, for which you could be considered as being libellous.
By definition, Mat's actions cannot be libelous unless he has published untruths.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Pattock wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:47 pm
MatDz wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 pm [*] I don't like to speak through phone, especially if other means of communication are officially published on the website;
It is a mobile number and you could text him. No need to speak. It could lead to getting your order, isn't it worth trying?
I don't really feel like convincing people to fulfill their obligations (after holding my money for a month and a half), nor try to justify my opinion here - I simply wanted to express it.

But I'm really glad it sparked some discussion, hopefully the same disappointment will not happen to anyone else, either because of an improved service, or a lack of orders.
Mat
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Tina wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:28 pm Didn't someone also buy some plants that were wrongly labeled off this person or was it another co.
I wonder if perhaps you're thinking of the thread I started back in February 2020, when I ordered this
uebelmannia pectinefra.jpg
uebelmannia pectinefra.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 987 times
(or at least thought that was what I was ordering) and ended up receiving this
P2170052.JPG
? I never did hear anything from the vendor, I still have the plant which is now in the "not sure if its still alive" section of my collection.

I was going to add the observation "didn't I read somewhere recently that this vendor had taken over sales of BEF pots?" but Al beat me to it!