A Field Guide to Wild Flowers Kwazulu-Natal and the Eastern Region

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pattock
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

A Field Guide to Wild Flowers Kwazulu-Natal and the Eastern Region

Post by Pattock »

Does anybody have a copy of A Field Guide to Wild Flowers Kwazulu-Natal and the Eastern Region by Elsa Pooley from 1998 that they could consult for me?

I just need to know what exactly she writes about the origin of the name Ceropegia and if she gives any reference for that. Wikipedia has:
It was named by Carl Linnaeus, who first described this genus in volume 1 of his Species plantarum, which appeared in 1753. Linnaeus thought that the flowers looked like a fountain of wax. From this the scientific name was derived: kērós meaning wax and pēgḗ meaning fountain (Pooley, 1998).
I don't want to pay £32 just to find that out. Sorry, Keith.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
The Tunn
BCSS Member

Re: A Field Guide to Wild Flowers Kwazulu-Natal and the Eastern Region

Post by The Tunn »

If no one here has a copy I would suggest your local public library (if you still have one left) They should be able to either obtain a copy, or let you know who has one that is available to consult. The copy holder should be able to provide you with the information. I doubt a photocopy of what you want would infringe any copyright legislation (%age of total work, used for research, etc.)

There may be a small charge but less than the cost of the book. Of course if someone here has a copy that will be a lot easier!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Have you tried the British Library?
They may have a copy, from which the relevant pages could be copied subject to the copyright provisions for minor extraction.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Re. this request and your other thread concerning the etymology of the word Ceropegia.

In Ulrich Meve's 'chapter' on Ceropegia in The illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants - Asclepiadaceae, he states,
Etym: Gr. 'keros', wax, wax candle; and Gr. 'pegnynai', assemble, unite; perhaps for the chandelier-like inflorescences of some species.

Your could try emailing Ulrich for further information and discussion.

Best, Tony
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Thank you, all good suggestions.

I don't know which pages it would be on, so Kew or the British Library would not want to copy the whole thing. I am probably replacing that bit on Wikipedia with a properly referenced sentence.

Tony, pegnynai is what the Oxford English Dictionary have for the verb in Greek. I am waiting for the new Cambridge Greek Lexicon to become available to buy as an ebook, it might be able to help with a few things. Though Cambridge University might have a different concept of "soon" than I do.

So far I have a 1790s reference for candlestick/chandelier and an 1830s reference for wax-fountain.

I might contact Ulrich when I have the facts as neat as I can get them. I am not really expecting a reference from Pooley because no-one ever gives a reference for this "fact".
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

But think of the value you'd get from the rest of the book!

However it says:

Keros - wax pege - fountain Linnaeus thought the flowers the flowers looked like a fountain of wax.

That's all!

With compliments!

Keith
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Keith L wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:25 pm But think of the value you'd get from the rest of the book!

However it says:

Keros - wax pege - fountain Linnaeus thought the flowers the flowers looked like a fountain of wax.

That's all!

With compliments!

Keith
Excellent, I can ignore that one entirely then. Thanks Keith!

If the book had a lot of ethnobotany for the asclepiads in it, that was original work, I would consider it.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

I have untangled it, I think. If you read the other thread, this is the same post.

There is a Greek word keropegion κηροπηγɩον that means candelabrum in Latin, which can mean "a candlestick, a branched candlestick, a chandelier, candelabrum, or also lamp-stand, light-stand, sometimes of exquisite workmanship".

The word is very obscure. The only dictionary I could find that had the word keropegion is a Greek to Latin dictionary that is regarded as the most complete of all Ancient Greek dictionaries. The Thesauri linguæ Græcæ by Henrico Stephano (aka Henr. Stephanus, Henri Estienne or Henri Etienne) was first published in 1572. Dictionary entries for Ancient Greek words fill 3,165 pages. Linnaeus certainly knew it and probably owned an edition of it.

That is the short version. If you want the long version with references, see my blog article. https://pattheplants.blogspot.com/2021/ ... pegia.html

In other Ceropegia news, my lone Ceropegia bulbosa seedling is doing quite well after six weeks.
Ceropegia bulbosa 6 weeks.JPG