Setiechinopsis mirabilis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Setiechinopsis mirabilis

Post by el48tel »

copyright version small.mp4
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
My first attempt at video for this aptly named "mirabiis".
Nocturnal video work has its problems, with which I will not bore you, save to say, my previous two attempts were thwarted by plants flowering before I expected (by several hours). This attempt had a lighting power cable failure, hence the slight difference in colour rendering mid video.

Yes it is lower quality because otherwise this site won't load it.
Yes it has a copyright mark
Yes it is available without the mark

I'm hoping to do better next time. I have two blooms ... tiny buds waiting ..... perhaps later in the month
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Setiechinopsis mirabilis

Post by FredG »

(tu)
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
The Tunn
BCSS Member

Post by The Tunn »

Fascinating, and a lot of work I would imagine.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

The Tunn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:58 pm Fascinating, and a lot of work I would imagine.
I learned a great deal whilst making it, both the shooting of the material and in the editing, which was a real hard graft to save the project from failure. It took longer to process up than to film, and the previous successes and failures have been fruitful and painful learning experiences.
It's not dulled my appetite for more!
I needed to learn how to do it .... because I have other planned mega projects .... Best way to learn.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Well done Terry and that played fine from the site unlike the last one - bizarre!

Do you know how old the plant is and have you tried crossing it with anything???
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I take it that 20 downloads means that there's an interest in this kind of video.
Please do comment. All criticism welcome. All ideas welcome too.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

edds wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 pm Well done Terry and that played fine from the site unlike the last one - bizarre!

Do you know how old the plant is and have you tried crossing it with anything???
Plant came to me in 2019 as one of two and I think was at least 2 years old then.
Tried to cross it ... unsuccessfully .... several times.
Might have another try with one of the 2 remaining buds .... the other is destined for the next video.
Moreover, I have loads of Setiechinopsis seeds .... and I mean loads .... and some bought in 2018 .... but not a seedling in sight.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:16 pm but not a seedling in sight.
Got about 40 seedlings going along nicely from seed kindly sent to me. Hoping I can break the 18 months for a first flower by cheating and using my office in the autumn and winter to keep them growing!

Someone on here suggested they're closer to Cereus I think than Echinopsis, despite the name.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Very nice Terry,. Is there any way you could incorporate the delightful and distinctive perfume within the video? :grin: The smell always reminds me of Germoline. Although I am aware that this reference might mean nothing at all to overseas members of the forum.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

That's beautifull Terry liking the slightly longer video. I said they should have got you to film the moon flower opening.
Thank you (tu)