Copiapoa krainziana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Copiapoa krainziana

Post by iann »

Quite variable! Fingers crossed I can go this summer without scorching the big hairy one.
krainziana-0716.jpg
Cheshire, UK
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Copiapoa krainziana

Post by juster »

Interesting variation Iann, this is one of my favourite Copiapoas, but I find it shy to flower. Thinking about it, I’ve had my plant for over 30 years and I don’t think it’s ever flowered, so I’m getting something wrong :sad:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Mine don't flower either, so I'm clearly not getting something right.
Cheshire, UK
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I've two soft spined ones, the larger one in the foreground has flowered well over the summer. It was originally a seedling from Ken Burke. The Copiapoa in the left-hand corner was another of Ken's seedlings and flowers prolifically. It's a hybrid from Ken's seed when he had a single Krainziana in flower and crossed it with another flowering Copiapoa rather than 'waste' the flower. I'm not sure if the stiff-spined one at the back has flowered.
They all could be repotted but I try to restrict my Copiapoas to a 3 x 2ft section of staging.

Stuart
Copiapoa Krainziana Jul21.JPG