Biggish, best value, fastest growing, hardy in enclosed corner

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich45s
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Biggish, best value, fastest growing, hardy in enclosed corner

Post by Rich45s »

Judging by the thread title I don’t want much do I!

But as part of my frankly insane ‘spend £30+’ to get free delivery obsession rather than just paying the £2.95 postage for the thing I actually wanted. I’ve added a rather large pot to an order.

As a relative novice I’ve not fussed about rarity or anything like that for this. Just a decently sized specimen cactus (or plant, small tree or shrub I suppose too) that won’t cost the earth but will hopefully grow quickly and love the morning and early afternoon sun the spot I’ve mapped out for it.

As that spot is right by the front door, something without spines etc may be handy as I’m clumsy, like a drink and the doors an awkward sod to open at the best of times.

So any and all suggestions gratefully received thank you very much
BCSS Member 52305
PerG
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Biggish, best value, fastest growing, hardy in enclosed corner

Post by PerG »

An interesting but difficult question. I don't think there are any cacti that are hardy and (relatively) fast-growing and without too many spines. How about Aloiampelos striatula?
Rich45s
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by Rich45s »

That looks a good shout actually. It’s definitely gone on to the maybe list. Thank you
BCSS Member 52305
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

What effect are you after? Maybe a hardy palm or cordyline might fit the bill for decent sized and not spiky? I also grow a few nice trees on big pots on my deck; Gingko, Aralia, Catalpa, Liriodendron and a few others. They work nicely as a kind of jumbo bonsai!
Ed

BCSS member 53038