Echinopsis ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Echinopsis ID

Post by habanerocat »

As you can see from the label I had an Echinocereus fitchii for a number of years. Despite growing and flowering well it was never stable in it's pot and finally rotted a few summers ago. When I was throwing it out I found this seedling growing at the base of the plant, so I kept the seedling and label.

So it obviously looks like an Echinopsis, but as I don't have a yellow flowering Echinopsis I have no idea where it came from or how it could possibly have ended up in the Echinocereus pot.

So it could be hybrid or anything really. Any ideas?
IMG_2674A.jpg
habanerocat
BCSS Member

Re: Echinopsis ID

Post by habanerocat »

A second one here that's probably not a plain silvestrii.

Referring to my other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170091

This plant is also not looking very happy compared to how it looked when I got it first.

Old photo.
Old Red Hybrid.jpg
And now.
IMG_2675A.jpg
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

The first one looks like one of the fancy, carefully selected chamaelobivias such as are offered by Southfields, so I suspect this was a hidden stem fragment rather than a seedling. The second one might be 'Paulina', which is one of the most widespread in cultivation, and which has - to me anyway - fairly distinctive short spination.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
habanerocat
BCSS Member

Post by habanerocat »

Thanks, It was definitely a seedling, it was very small. I was looking through all those this morning and the best I could come up with was 'Lincoln Beam'. But the ends of the petals aren't dark enough. I don't know if that would be a consistent feature with an Chamaelobivia hybrid.
Untitled picture.jpg
Untitled picture.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 567 times
I think you're spot on with the second one. Fair play!
Do you know where that originated?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Super colour
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Looks like you have your own Chamaelobivia hybrid and a nice one too!
Ed

BCSS member 53038