Cricket loam for Aztekiums, Lophophoras etc.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cricket loam for Aztekiums, Lophophoras etc.

Post by MatDz »

I'm trying to find a JI substitute for the slow(er) growing Mexican cacti like Aztekiums or Lophophoras, and I found the sterilised, loam based "cricket dressing" with 38% Clay, 42% Silt & 20% Sand, which seems to be perfect for what I'm trying to achieve when mixed with grit and moler clay: https://www.agrigem.co.uk/kaloam-cricket-loam-25kg

It should also work nice as a base for the "peat free" mix for other plants, with some organic matter added, I just need to decide what this "organic matter" will be.

Does anyone have any experience with using similar mixes? I remember Aiko (it's a shame one cannot "call" another user, isn't it?) mentioning he's using loam mixes for similar cacti, anyone else?
Mat
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Re: Cricket loam for Aztekiums, Lophophoras etc.

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I tried it once. No longer. I found I couldn’t get drainage.
(I’m a cricket groundsman, btw)
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:00 pm Does anyone have any experience with using similar mixes? I remember Aiko (it's a shame one cannot "call" another user, isn't it?) mentioning he's using loam mixes for similar cacti, anyone else?
Yep. Also for almost all of my seedlings in about a 25% loam, 25% rough sand, 25% pebbles and 25% top soil mix for many species, but things like Aztekium and other miniature cacti and mesembs will be in a 50% loam and 25% rough sand and 25% pebbles. I don't use it for big pots, though.

I have no idea what the sand / silt / clay ratio of my loam itself is... But it clumps up nicely when it is dry and becomes soft as butter when it gets wet. I have written an article on this for the Mesemb Study Group bulletin a few years back.

I use the type of loam that is being used to smear on walls on the inside of houses (to insulate, I believe). I am very happy with it. Bought a big bag of 1000 kilo about ten years ago thinking it could last me for twenty years.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm I tried it once. No longer. I found I couldn’t get drainage.
(I’m a cricket groundsman, btw)
I love when a random mention of cricket reveals a professional on the forum :mrgreen:

I hope we'll find a solution to the drainage problem with Aiko's help! What was the rest of the mix you used?
Aiko wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:08 pm Yep. Also for almost all of my seedlings in about a 25% loam, 25% rough sand, 25% pebbles and 25% top soil mix for many species, but things like Aztekium and other miniature cacti and mesembs will be in a 50% loam and 25% rough sand and 25% pebbles. I don't use it for big pots, though.

I have no idea what the sand / silt / clay ratio of my loam itself is... But it clumps up nicely when it is dry and becomes soft as butter when it gets wet. I have written an article on this for the Mesemb Study Group bulletin a few years back.

I use the type of loam that is being used to smear on walls on the inside of houses (to insulate, I believe). I am very happy with it. Bought a big bag of 1000 kilo about ten years ago thinking it could last me for twenty years.
Any chance you'd have am author version of the article somewhere, or maybe could photograph the article itself?

Seems like the extra sand/fine grit could be the solution to improve drainage.

I keep seeing those lovely Lophophoras in clay heavy substrates creating big crater-like holes around in winter, maybe I'd be able to pull it off indoor?!
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:26 pm Any chance you'd have am author version of the article somewhere, or maybe could photograph the article itself?
If you help me remember after the weekend, I can put the article up here. Currently I am not home, so don't have access to the file.

But there is a Dutch version I have made for Ruud Tropper for his website (along with two very bad pictures, I see): https://www.cactusinfo.nl/index.php/hul ... -substraat. I have no idea how well an automated translation will work for you.
MatDz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:26 pm Seems like the extra sand/fine grit could be the solution to improve drainage.

I keep seeing those lovely Lophophoras in clay heavy substrates creating big crater-like holes around in winter, maybe I'd be able to pull it off indoor?!
The loam dries out relatively fast in my greenhouse. I can't tell how it will work on a window sill if there is hardly any fresh air movement going on. But if you cram more plants in one pot, that will certainly help getting things to dry out faster if they take up the moist in the soil. And drainage can be improved with a lot of pebbles or grit. But I doubt fine sand will be of much help.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I lived in Gent for about a year, but that's hardly a help here, G. translate did the work pretty well though.

Also, I was thinking about the rough/sharp sand you mentioned earlier as an additive, but this is probably already in the loam mix, so some finer grit would be much better. I will give it a try, would love to see some of the Lophs seedlings in it!
Last edited by MatDz on Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

And I’m an ex cricketer!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

All my lophophora are in JI2 & cat litter-moler, they really aren't difficult to grow.
I never use sand unless its for rooting some seedlings
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Is it made from actual crickets?
Cheshire, UK
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

iann wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:17 pm Is it made from actual crickets?
That is a lot more expensive and probably not very good for drainage.

https://www.eatgrub.co.uk/product/crick ... ket-flour/

It might initiate defense responses in the plant due to chitin content, though mushrooms would be cheaper.

https://www.pnas.org/content/103/29/11086
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/