Old seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Old seeds

Post by Nick_G »

MikeT wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:09 pm Discussion so far has centered on sowing seed that's been in the packet for a long time. Sometimes seed that's sown doesn't germinate - how long should you keep the pot? With Opuntias I routinely keep for a few years, it often takes more than 1 year for germination. I don't usually keep other failed germination pots. Maybe I should. This Crassula coccinea was the sole seed to germinate when sown last year.
C coccinea_.JPG
If there had been good germination, it would probably have been transplanted by now. Recently I noticed something else in the pot.
coccinea_.JPG
It's taken its time, but the overall germination rate has now doubled. Bit of catching up to do with its older sibling.
coccinea_extra_.JPG
I find this happens often with Lophophoras.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Old seeds

Post by Ali Baba »

Well I can report that my 5 year old seed of Disocactus horstii has germinated!