Caudiciforms

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Caudiciforms

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Inspired by last week's talk by Gillian Evison, and having a few I've got one of those moments during the talk I decided to try and find the plants I thought I had.

Easiest one to find was Kedrostis africana as I knew it was in my small unheated lean to greenhouse. The plant had been in the same bonsai pot for at least 10 years and the caudex has hardly grown any bigger. Before it was consigned to the greenhouse it was on a windowsill where it got a bit more attention (and water) but that window went as part of recent building work. First thing I did was put it in a "normal" pot
kedrostis before
kedrostis before
All it then got was a bit of a trim on the obviously dead stems and a bit of top dressing and new label. Soil level stayed the same but top dressing means caudex is slightly lower
kedrostis after
kedrostis after
Next was Sedum frutescens, a plant that originally claimed to be Crassula sarcocaulis - see old forum thread https://www.forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic ... 1&t=166244. This plant was in the heated greenhouse but was still in its original pot.
sedum before
sedum before
This got similar treatment so new, bigger pot with fresh compost (and cat litter)
sedum after
sedum after
While moving these plants two crassulas ended up with the same treatment, a C. ovata and C. sarcocaulis, the latter from the same seller as the sedum and still in original pot
web-2537.jpg
web-2531.jpg