Copiapoa ID help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ned1988
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Copiapoa ID help

Post by ned1988 »

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster :smile:

I recently purchased four Copiapoa off ebay and was wondering if anyone could help decipher who's who?
First one was named as coquimbana, but after some digging it looks more like a bridgesii?

Two and three could maybe be montana? As for the fourth, I have no idea but rubriflora seems to come up when searching for red flowering copiapoas. Any help would be much appeciated, otherwise it's the "it's always humilis" maxim which will apply.

(These are ebay pictures, all have been repotted in a nice free draining JI2 and molar clay mix.

jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Copiapoa ID help

Post by jerryb23 »

Two and three look more like Copiapoa Humilis than montana but the fourth is not a Copiapoa. It looks like neochilenia napina.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I agree with the above.
I’m amazed at some of the prices Copiapoas are fetching recently on eBay. I can heartily recommend a trip to Southfield nurseries if you want Copiapoas and are within travelling distance.
ned1988
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by ned1988 »

Thank you for the help guys. I very much agree about some of the prices on eBay. Being a tight fisted so and so, I didn't pay much at all for these. I notice Cinerea especially are going for extortionately high amounts. I feel this could be the Instagram effect?

The neochilenia ID makes a lot of sense, the spination did have me wondering if it was something else.

Are we happy that the coquimbana is correctly named?
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

Coquimbana could be right but it can be quite variable. However, Bridgesii is a variety of Marginata which becomes heavily felted on the ribs and crown so probably not that. Unfortunately some Copiapoa's are almost indistinguishable when young.