Help wanted - leaky Ariocarpus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RJC
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PETERBOROUGH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Help wanted - leaky Ariocarpus

Post by RJC »

Hi I have this rather nice A. retusus furfuraceous which I rescued. I has lost its roots, so two weeks ago I cleaned it up. However, it has what I can only describe as a suppurating wound, which will not stop 'leaking'. The flesh is not discoloured, so I don't think it is rotting, in the usual way at least. Any suggestions as to what to do with it would be vey greatly received. The plant is propped up an a 3.5 inch pot, to give an idea of size. Thanks (as per usual my photo have rotated 90 degrees - apologies)
Attachments
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg
Rob; BCSS 60414
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Help wanted - leaky Ariocarpus

Post by Aiko »

That's not looking very good, but hard to judge by these pictures. I would scoop out any gooey stuff that is down there, then allow it all to dry out properly before potting it up again. then hope for the best it will regrow some roots during 2022...
RJC
Registered Guest

Post by RJC »

Thanks Aiko; the thing is there isn't really any gooey stuff - it just seems to be breaking down on the surface. I might get the scalpel out and dig out a hole and see.
Rob; BCSS 60414
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd give the 'wound' a good dusting with Sulphur (or Sulfur as it's now called) though I wouldn't hold out much hope. I'd feel slightly more hopeful if it was March rather than September. I'd try to root it in pumice though the rot in the root has probably travelled too far into the plant to save it though there's no harm in trying.

Stuart
RJC
Registered Guest

Post by RJC »

Just to update - this plant is now rooting. What did I do - Firstly dug out the wound and stuffed the wound with tissue paper, but this didn't work - as soon as I removed it the wound opened up and started oozing again. So then I pressed, yes literally, a few pieces of modular clay (sanikat pink) into the wounds and left it. This spring I placed on a tray of gritty compost (with the modular clay still in the wound), and all now appears okay (famous last words I guess; we'll see what happens this winter!)
Rob; BCSS 60414
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

One of mine did this a few years ago, leaking for no reason, I just left it and its still alive & growing today.
I wonder if the ooze is like our plasma & keeps the area clean.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.