Warning, ODD DODGY MESSAGE FROM ME

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Warning, ODD DODGY MESSAGE FROM ME

Post by Tina »

Hi all,
My account seems to have been hacked and I am not asking anyone for a favour of amazon vouchers or any such strange request, please delete it. :sad:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Warning, ODD DODGY MESSAGE FROM ME

Post by Aiko »

Are we talking about the "Hope you are well? Actually, I need a favour from you. I'd appreciate it if you could email me back when you get this" message?

I hope you have (been able to) change(d) your password by now.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Are we talking about the "Hope you are well? Actually, I need a favour from you. I'd appreciate it if you could email me back when you get this" message?
It is. I already got a reply from the dodgy sender.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Stinkers, they have locked me out & I can't get back in, BT are on the case & now its a tier 2 problem :eek: .

Not impressed but if you want to send me Dobbies vouchers for some new pots I won't say no :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Thanks Tina. I got such a message too. I was suspicious so I sent them a reply with a "security question" in it. I doubt if they will answer it... :cool:
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

Aiko wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:28 pm Are we talking about the "Hope you are well? Actually, I need a favour from you. I'd appreciate it if you could email me back when you get this" message?
I got this one too.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I was hoping for a little cuttings' swap or something!
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

There's always the danger that once one of your contacts has been mailed and then hacked, like a virus, the contagion will spread amongst other contact groups you have.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:45 am There's always the danger that once one of your contacts has been mailed and then hacked, like a virus, the contagion will spread amongst other contact groups you have.
There was nothing in these messages except a request for gift cards, so I'd risk saying all is good, except Tina's account of course.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm
el48tel wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:45 am There's always the danger that once one of your contacts has been mailed and then hacked, like a virus, the contagion will spread amongst other contact groups you have.
There was nothing in these messages except a request for gift cards, so I'd risk saying all is good, except Tina's account of course.
Yes but an automated "message opened" response from your account tells the hacker that your account is live and may be worth investigating for a hack. A written response of any kind gives similar ideas.
A list of live accounts is worth selling on to a spammer too.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.