Am I right in assuming that .....

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Am I right in assuming that .....

Post by el48tel »

20211206_103218.jpg
............... these will turn into seed pods?

If so ... how long will it take?
How will I know?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Am I right in assuming that .....

Post by Aiko »

You are right. It could take a few months. Probably by next summer. You can tell when they are ripe if the pods look completely dried out, and will open up once they get wet.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:49 am You are right. It could take a few months. Probably by next summer. You can tell when they are ripe if the pods look completely dried out, and will open up once they get wet.
Thanks Aiko
My Lithops flowered very very late .... and pretty much all at once, unlike last year when they flowered over many weeks. I'm a compulsive hybrid seeker but mainly cactus because I struggle with succulents. They don't do well for me. I kill seedlings.
I waggled the paintbrush over all of the flowers knowing that I had nothing to lose. To see possible seed capsules on many of the plants is most satisfying for two reasons. The first is possible FREE seed. The second is the chance to photograph the development of the capsules.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I find mesembs often don't germinate if sown from freshly ripened capsules - the seeds need a few months of further ripening before they will germinate well. Not sure if this applies to Lithops.
Perhaps this is to prevent germination during atypical dry-season precipitation?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

esp wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm I find mesembs often don't germinate if sown from freshly ripened capsules - the seeds need a few months of further ripening before they will germinate well. Not sure if this applies to Lithops.
Perhaps this is to prevent germination during atypical dry-season precipitation?
Thanks esp
Based on what I read, I would assume that capsules would ripen late 2022, and the seeds would be best sown early 2023.
Nevertheless, I might risk sowing some earlier, once they ripen, and grow under lights and over heat of 15C during the winter 2022/23 just as an experiment. Nothing to lose.
rthr
BCSS Member

Post by rthr »

These fruits will be ripe enough to harvest by May/June 2022 and you can sow the seeds right away. As Aiko says, the dry woody capsules are ripe if they open when wet. If you do sow such fresh lithops seed - and lithops often appreciate summer sowings - you may well find germination is staggered, with several flushes over the first year.

Catherine
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

rthr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:14 pm These fruits will be ripe enough to harvest by May/June 2022 and you can sow the seeds right away. As Aiko says, the dry woody capsules are ripe if they open when wet. If you do sow such fresh lithops seed - and lithops often appreciate summer sowings - you may well find germination is staggered, with several flushes over the first year.

Catherine
Thanks Catherine
That's Better and better news ...... and since I am such a cack-handed succulents sower .... my daughter who is a dab hand .... has offered to grow them.
rthr
BCSS Member

Post by rthr »

Well those capsules should contain enough seeds for a fair few attempts at success. Good luck with them.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

rthr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm Well those capsules should contain enough seeds for a fair few attempts at success. Good luck with them.
There's a family challenge. I may give some to my daughter .... yes .... but ..... I will need to up my game too.