Lithops optica rubra

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lithops optica rubra

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I’m a Lithops novice. I’ve had several for twenty years or more, all raised from seed from historic BCSS seed lists, so understand the basics.
I’ve taken advantage of the seed list this year to expand my collection of these. Many pots are now showing germination.
My question: I’ve read often the L optica rubra needs special treatment. The seed has germinated. Do I need to treat these seedlings any differently to the others, or is it later in life that things get difficult?
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Re: Lithops optica rubra

Post by Rob »

For now, I would say treat them the same as others.

It is in maturity that L.optica rubra has a slightly different routine to other Lithops. I just treat it as having a later season, so, it tends to finish drying it's old leaf pair a month or two later then the rest and continues to need a light watering deeper in to the Autumn, and flowers in the Winter. Along the road in Caistor they have been in flower over Christmas.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I think the main difference is to keep them going a bit longer than the other Lithops. So continue to water them until December. That is what I do, and the only difference compared to the others. They are still alive, but still too young to flower.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Thanks both.
I’ll have to visit you later in the year Rob to learn more about these,
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:14 pm Thanks both.
I’ll have to visit you later in the year Rob to learn more about these,
Yes, as soon as the weather picks up we will arrange that, and a return visit.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Simple enough from seed. If anything, you're more likely to kill it with kindness than neglect, especially if you've already got the knack for growing Lithops from seed.
Cheshire, UK