Maybe tomorrow................

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AntonyC
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Maybe tomorrow................

Post by AntonyC »

Thanks Mike , i'll bear that in mind for any that look like they are going to flower while i'm at work. In the fridge be ok ;-) LOL
When you say a while is that 3-4days,a week or longer?
Thanks
Ant

Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Antony, some great plants there have you had them a long time wish I had some like that all mine are 2/3 heads

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Is that L. olivacea var nebrownii? Or has it just had a good toasting this summer?

Cheshire, UK
AntonyC
BCSS Member

Post by AntonyC »

Hi Ian,
Very sharp eyes you have. Yes it is L. olivacea var nebrownii although my normal L. olivacea is looking quite simular after the silly temps that we have been experiencing here in the midlands recently :-/
Ant

Birmingham branch member
AntonyC
BCSS Member

Post by AntonyC »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the comments.I added these plants to my collection earlier this year, was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time before they went on ebay. Keep treating yours right and within a few years they will start to multiply their heads and make nice clumps, sounds as if you're already doing something right if they have 'survived' to get 2/3 heads.
Ant

Birmingham branch member
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

I must confess that on the face of it Lithops seem as if they ought to be easy to grow but I am not very good at getting them to maturity. I have no problems whatever raising seed but all sorts of thing happen from then on. It sickens me to watch a tray full turn white and die. I am a little unsure whether this is sudden death syndrome or just over watering/not open enough compost, though I know some growers manage quite well in peat(is this because it needs a lot of wetting once dry I wonder?) Then we come to tripping and dropping trays full of seedlings and this year for the first time ever mice wrought havoc whilst I was using slug pellets thinking it was snails! Still on Sunday 6th August you can all come along to HULL BRANCH OPEN DAY (email me for details) and see what I have got. This will be a special occasion as my greenhouse is now tidy and that will make it a unique occasion!( got to get the plug in) After all that I have quite a few because I sow a lot of seed.
Roy Thackeray
Chairman and Secretary
Hull Branch BCSS
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Overheating! I have found it impossible to overwater baby Lithops, provided they are in a sensible cactus soil, but it is quite easy to boil them in the sun. Shame really since they grow so well in full sun, just got to keep the air moving over them or spray them on hot afternoons.

Cheshire, UK
AntonyC
BCSS Member

At Last......................

Post by AntonyC »

.........worth the wait i think.
You were spot on with your prediction Ian, suppose that comes with experience.
Enjoy,
Ant

Attachments
4SYORXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAASAA8BAgAJAAAA5gAAABABAgAQAAAA8AAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAVFhoBBQABAAAAAAEAABsBBQABAAAACAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAmFTEBAgAnAAAAEAEAADIBAgAUAAAAOAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAZGZiCAgAFAAAATAEAAGmHBAABAAAAbgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAUFQKkAwABAAA
4SYORXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAASAA8BAgAJAAAA5gAAABABAgAQAAAA8AAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAVFhoBBQABAAAAAAEAABsBBQABAAAACAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAmFTEBAgAnAAAAEAEAADIBAgAUAAAAOAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAZGZiCAgAFAAAATAEAAGmHBAABAAAAbgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAUFQKkAwABAAA (71.7 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Birmingham branch member
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: At Last......................

Post by Cactus Jack »

Very nice Ant, all mine are single head seedlings so i wont be able to match that for a long time..

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Bootiful!

Cheshire, UK