Trichocereus ?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Trichocereus ?

Post by Guest »

Hi,
This and the rest came as a packet of Trichocereus pachanoi - anybody know what they are?

Attachments
8A
8A (80.8 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Trichocereus ?

Post by iann »

Is it columnar or globular?

Cheshire, UK

Re: Trichocereus ?  Solved

Post by Guest »

Ian,

It looks to be columnar but stocky

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

One feature that should be present on any T. pachanoi is the horizontal groove above each areole. I see it on some, but not all, of the plants in your other message.

Another thing to consider is that some authors combined T. peruvianus and T. bridgesii with T. pachanoi as a single species.

This page contains a key (you'll need flowers!), but also summary descriptions for each Trichocereus species.

Cheshire, UK
Krister
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Krister »

Hi Bob, the first one is a Trichocereus macrogonus. Here you have a site that helped me alot about columnar Trichosereus and Cereus..

Regards, Krister Persson
Skane, Sweden

Post by Guest »

Krister,

Thanks for this site, I seem to have loads of pachanoi and peruvianus both are great for grafting then I have a long spined peruvianus type which does not fit at all but I will keep a couple.

My aim is to get some of these to flower so that I can raise my own (reliable) grafting stock seed.

On the grafting front I have found peruvianus a better stock than pachanoi for two reasons pachanoi seems to be more fibrous and is more prone to offseting that peruvianus. This is just my findings and as usual others will find other results.