350 viewings - no interest

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
CactusChris
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

350 viewings - no interest

Post by CactusChris »

I've just been looking at the swap pages on the Cactus mall. Interesting stuff. I posted a for sale ad for Yucca endlichiana - undoubtably the best yucca for cactus and succulent growers, small, succulent and pretty, rare and difficult, plus although it was in the ISI list they no longer are sending plants to the EU. 355 viewings and not a single enquiry. Is this because:

1) No one wants the plant?
2) No one knows what it is?
3) The 355 viewings were not interested

If 1, 2, or 3 why view the ad?

Is anyone else using the swap site much, and how much value are they getting?

At this rate (assuming I am not being persecuted) the swap pages will dissappear from a lack of use....

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: 350 viewings - no interest

Post by Tina »

Hi Chris

I have only had one contact resulting in some very good swaps, which is a shame as I have some very nice madagaskan plants for swaps but I did get some very nice plants in return so that one swap was worthwhile.

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.

Post by Guest »

I put my Lithops collection on there and got no responses so I gave them to the branch to help them raise branch funds.

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I put my Lithops collection on there and got no responses so I gave them to the branch to help them raise branch funds.

Now I'm kicking myself for not visiting more often! Its just not somewhere I go and look.

Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Maybe people don't know about the site or the fact that there is a swap shop on there. This is the address

Scroll down to the bottom and click on swap shop, or half way down there is 'Trading Post, New Forum based system', which does the same thing. I just don't have much worth swapping yet, but I hope I will do next year.

Phil in Somerset
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

Thanks Phil I was about to ask where I could find it...lol.
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

Hi Chris,
Yes I often wonder the same I guess there will always be people that just like to look in ???
I have LOTS to trade but my excuse is in the last 18 months I just haven't got myself organised to make a list. Amongst 101 other things to do after moving home, incl. 1000's of plants, new job(s), new baby I might get to do a haworthia list in the next month or so but don't hold me to it ?? but if anyone is interested I always have some rare/unusual haworthias incl. Japanese hybrids & variegates to swap for similar but I doubt I will get any takers. Hopefully, next spring I will put a list together of C&S.

Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Well I must admit to not checking it often enough and was actualy quite disappointed to miss Bob's Lithop collection.

Phil W, I would be very interested in any Haworthia as I have said before (LOL), but my problem would be swops, got plenty of the common or garden stuff, but not enough of anything that would be of interest to you.

Tis a problem for relative beginners, (particularly if you don't have regular contact with other growers) a lot of the more experienced are looking for swops for their rarer stuff and anyone that does offer them for sale, generaly wants ebay type prices.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
AntonyC
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by AntonyC »

I'm the same as you Ian -both on missing Bobs colection and its just one of those places i dont visit.
Maybe people could drop a note on the forum when they put plants in the swap shop, it would refresh our memories to visit there occasionally.
Jut a thought.......
Ant

Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

Tis True that Bill.

I've got a few - nothing rare (unless you count them as e-bay rare Lol!!) and am always on the look out for the odd one or two or ten or twenty....... Lol!

I saw one on e-bay recently & the guy advertised it as "pupps really easy" & it went for about 4x what I thought it was worth ! Still, They obviously thought that it was worth it.

I live in hope. well warwickshire actually, Hopes in Derbyshire 8-)

Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts