Forum at Convention

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRIMSBY

Forum at Convention

Post by North Lincs Mike »

I suggested for the Havering Mart earlier in the year that Forum members might like to meet up. I think it was David Trimble who sorted out some badges for us to identify each other but I may well be mistaken.
Do any of you attending think we should do something similar? Presumably someone who is familar with the set up could simply suggest a time and place for a rendezvous

Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Convention

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike

Doesn't sound like there are any other forum members going to the convention, I do know Colin is, as he has his tickets & badge so is any one else going.

I did want to go on the saturday as a day member but we are off on hols soon so I daren't go anywhere I'll be tempted to spend money on non essentials

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Re: Forum at Convention

Post by Martin »

Mike

I will be there for the full duration from the Thursday evening

As I have not been to one before I am afraid I am in the dark as you re the best way to meet up.

I suggest as we will all have badges anyway we just try and find each other as there are only just over 100 or so people I think

I know Colin anyway and Derek if hes there so we should be able to get a few together

Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Martin

There are a lot of prople going from the MK & Northampton branch, probably the most members from any single branch so you know most of them already.
Perhaps you should swap mobile numbers ?

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Convention warning:~)

Post by Tina »

Have they told you who will be selling plants at the convention ??

I was told to be careful with the vino at the saturday meal as you can get carried away with the bidding when the auction starts.

I hope you two are going to give us lot's of feedback !

Post Edited (08-14-06 20:06)
Tina

Bucks, UK
Agavegeoff
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Convention

Post by Agavegeoff »

Hi, All.

I will be there and must remember to write my ( Agavegeoff ) on my convention badge.

Cheers Agavegeoff.

Long time Gloucester and District Branch member. NCCPG Agave collection holder.
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Re: Convention warning:~)

Post by North Lincs Mike »

Go do tell us!

Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Yes, I'll be there for the full Convention. I'll bring the remainder of the "BCSS Forum" badges and leave them at the Registration desk. But I suspect we will not need them, since personal badges will be provided, as usual at a big convention.

A highlight should be Ernst van Jaarsveld telling us the latest about Gasterias on Sunday afternoon, but all the talks sound good (no Opuntias this time!)

It's starting to happen already! John Trager is nearly over his jet lag - we spent today looking through the collections at Kew and talking about Schick hybrids ....

The nurserymen attending are few, but very select - there should be some special plants on sale:

Aristocacti/Living Rocks
Harry Mays (ISI Distributor)
Ulig Kakteen from Germany
Robert Wellans (STC) who micro-props beautiful Haworthias, Aloes, etc
Keith Larkin (books, second hand bargins)
Whitestone gardens (plants & books)
MSG (members' sales, usually rare seedlings)

Also four other displays.

Best wishes,
No relation to David Trimble,
Highgate, London
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

"A highlight should be Ernst van Jaarsveld telling us the latest about Gasterias on Sunday afternoon"

Thanks Derek didn't notice this on the programme, seems I might have to make the effort after all, have to talk to other half tommorrow and then see if it's not too late to get a day ticket.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Bill
I'm pretty sure it is too late , you will need to phone David Kirkbright ASAP but when I spoke to him saturday it sounded quite final .

Tina

Bucks, UK