Memories

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Memories

Post by Roy »

Not a rare plant, but nice. I used to know this plant as Pseudolobivia kermesina, now referred to as Echinopsis mammillosa v kermesina. An easy plant to grow from seed and flower. I recall seeing this plant growing on the edge of the cliff in a place called Iruja, looking totally unnatural having seen mainly white flowered Echinopsis. It was too close to the edge to get a good shot but a bit further up the valley I did get close to one unfortunately it was the only photo that was slightly out of focus on the whole trip. When you have two feet on a cliff and one hand hold focusing is a bit of a problem! :-)
Attachments
4SXiRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA4BAgAgAAAAhgAAAA8BAgAFAAAApgAAABABAgAKAAAAqwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtQAAABsBBQABAAAAvQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAVAAAAxQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2gAAAJUCAAAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgAFNPTlkAQ1lCRVJTSE9
4SXiRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA4BAgAgAAAAhgAAAA8BAgAFAAAApgAAABABAgAKAAAAqwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtQAAABsBBQABAAAAvQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAVAAAAxQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2gAAAJUCAAAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgAFNPTlkAQ1lCRVJTSE9 (61.9 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Member Bcss
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Memories

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Roy, nice flower!!

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Pretty spectacular flower!

Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

That colour is very reminiscent of the the dye obtained from cochineal. In fact the species name is derived from a Mediterranean insect called Kermes ilices (formerly Coccus ilices - cochineal being Coccus cacti). The insect feeds on the Kermes Oak and produces one of the oldest dyes known. It was mentioned in the book of Genesis. Everyone should have one of these plants. I used to have one and will definitely get another. Thank you Roy for reminding me.

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Thanks guys and thank you Phil, I now know more about the name than I did a few minutes ago ! :-)
Member Bcss
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

It's beautiful Roy and a definite towards the top of my list of wants!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!