pseudolithos cultivation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jez
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

pseudolithos cultivation

Post by Jez »

I've obtained a Pseudolithos, a grafted seedling, which I am extremely happy to have..... and I am wondering if there is anything I should be particularly careful about when looking after it, any particular cultivation needs etc.. I've had the occasional problem with fungal attack to individual Stapelia or Larryleachia plants, but most of my Asclepiads seem, in general, happy enough (pic of a Huernia that is flowering now attached). Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments
4RlYRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAhodpAAQAAAABAAAAnAAAAMgAAACWAAAAAQAAAJYAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA2OjA4OjIyIDEwOjM0OjQxAAAAAAOgAQA
4RlYRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAhodpAAQAAAABAAAAnAAAAMgAAACWAAAAAQAAAJYAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA2OjA4OjIyIDEwOjM0OjQxAAAAAAOgAQA (39.67 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Sheffieldsurfer

Re: pseudolithos cultivation

Post by Sheffieldsurfer »

Beautiful Huernia picture. I`ve got to ask, but as i can only seem to see Pseudolithos on ebay, where did you get yours? They seem to be so rare, but i`d love one myself.
Cultivation? All i can see in my books, is they need bright light, moderate heat, and it can be sunburned in intense light. It`s rot prone, and i just found out grafting increases longevity, as it`s short lived in collections.
Hope that helps.
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Thanks for the helpful comments. The Huernia has not flowered before and I am amazed by the texture and colour. I thought it might smell rather bad, but it doesn't.

The Pseudolithos (caput-viperae) did come from E-bay - seller was didieria (aka Bob and Beryl Potter of Toobees). Perhaps they have more?

They have seen them on the lists of a couple of of US based nurseries, but shipping them to the UK from them is not possible.

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Succulent Tissue Culture had quite a few for sale at the convention.