BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Vgskcks
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Post by Vgskcks » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:26 pm

hey tina,

I would love any ariocarpus seed you have..
Vgskcks
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Vgskcks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Tina wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Hi all,
I have some hybrid ariocarpus from Japan that produce too much seed for me, how fussy is everyone about their ariocarpus seed purity, mostly they are retusus forms but may have very bumpy skin possibly with a bit of ario cauliflower.
I wanted to check and let people know, you could end up with some very interesting forms but would need to keep them for a few years to let them develop properly.
Hello Tina,

I would love to purchase some ariocarpus seeds from you. I do love different types of ariocarpus.
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Phil_SK wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 am
With so many, the main BCSS list would probably be worth considering as well.
Thanks Phil, indeed we would be interested. That goes for anyone who has too many interesting pods ripening :grin:
Arios, also wouldn't say no :lol:
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 am

Its worth bearing in mind that all members of the forum are eligible to have seed from the seed pool, whether they are BCSS members or not. So if anyone has masses of seed, may I just make a plea for a small amount to come to the Pool as well.

There were two original goals of the Pool, one being to attract people who were interested in our plants in the hope that their interest would grow and they might consider joining the Society, and the other to simply broaden the range of species that members could easily acquire. I have used my discretion to ensure that people don't just join and ask for seed. There should be some evidence that they are active on the forum, so I usually check to see if they have at least made a few "sensible" posts. I haven't had any problems to date.

Maybe its time to review a) whether the pool is worthwhile and b) if so should it stay "open" as now.

Firstly let me say that it isn't very active, maybe 10 requests so far this year for an average of 8 species. Most but not all are from new forum members. New seed deposits are usually as a result of me making a plea, so it isn't uppermost or even lowermost in member's minds.

I do a regular cull of seed that is over 3 years old, but usually mention this beforehand so members can take a chance on some residual viability of the seed. I don't want to turn people off seed growing because they get no germination. I'm shortly to do this review, which will mean a significant reduction of species on offer.

So let's see how many people respond to this post.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 am

Chris43 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 am

There were two original goals of the Pool, one being to attract people who were interested in our plants in the hope that their interest would grow and they might consider joining the Society, and the other to simply broaden the range of species that members could easily acquire.

Maybe its time to review a) whether the pool is worthwhile and b) if so should it stay "open" as now.

Firstly let me say that it isn't very active, maybe 10 requests so far this year for an average of 8 species. Most but not all are from new forum members.

I don't want to turn people off seed growing because they get no germination. I'm shortly to do this review, which will mean a significant reduction of species on offer.
I personally have nothing but praise for the way you have responded to my requests and kept the pool functioning.

My answers are a) Yes b) Yes

If the aim was as you say, even if applications are few they match the goal. Although not new to the hobby I was, after years of absence, encouraged to indulge in my favourite aspect, raising from seed, and the Pool has been ideal for me to help start my collection again.

Regarding germination, over the last 3/4 years I have acquired seed from many sources, and according to my statistics germination from Pool seed has been second to none. So I think you should have no worries on that score.

The only qualification to my second answer is that much depends on you - whether you feel your own personal effort is worthwhile. But there would always be the opportunity to ask whether anyone else would step in.

Best
Alan
JohnMadrid
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JohnMadrid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am

I´m a new member and one of the attractions of the society was the access to the seed lists. Hadn´t asked for anything off of it yet exactly because I didn´t join just to get hold of seed and didn´t want anyone to think that was the case.

Hoping my Trichodiadema Stelligerum (ID is shakey - doesn´t seem to match anything online very well) is going to set seed but I was going to offer that elsewhere on the forum as I´m only likely to have a very few. Up until I came accross the society I´d been deadheading it, but having then seen the seedlists and realising the benefits of sharing material, I´ve left the last few flowers to go to seed. So that´s another benefit of the lists - encouraging people to share material.

So I´d definitely say they´re worth while and I think it´s good that they´re open as well :)

On a side note, when you do have a cull, let me know before you actually chuck anything out. I´m kind of interested in everything at the moment. And I hate seeing *anything* going to waste (you can take the northerner out of the North, but not the North out of the northerner). So I´d be interested stopping any of them going to the landfill!!!
John W
Madrid, Spain
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Tina » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am

Hi Chris,
I was a little disappointed with my only reply about the ariocarpus seed being from an Australian member who I wasn't even sure could legally be posted to,I didn't think forumites were interested.
I have contributed and used the seed pool so would like to keep it please, I have some super little ariocarpus agavoides from the pool something that isn't very commonly available and I am really pleased with them (tu) .
I will send some seed in I'm just not that organised, I have some choice Astro seed that has fantastic germination and should grow into some interesting choice & unusual forms.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator Northampton & Mk Branch
BCSS Talk team member, contact me if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:42 pm

I can understand why Chris43 poses the question. As a newbie I had some seed last year. Some germinated, and some did not, and the same for commercially obtained seeds and for the BCSS Christmas offering. I put it down to the lack of my skills and knowledge of what and how to grow, rather than the seed itself.
I think it has a use, in that it provides an inexpensive start for people who may not have tried seed before. So if it can continue, then so it should. Long may it continue.
With regards to providing seeds, I have seeds but could not confirm purity because I am unsure which other species was responsible for pollination. All mine would be labelled as "hybrids".
Endeavouring to grow Aeoniums, Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Lithops, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm

It's a while since i used the seed pool, but I think it's a very worthwhile resource, and would like to see it continue
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:30 pm

I have used the list a couple of times, as a newbie I have a few seedlings growing now which I was encouraged to do by you supplying them for free. I hope one day to donate some back, may be a while as I am still new to this. I have just one issue, I have to download the list each time and for some reason, my tablet won't let me delete the old ones, perhaps an issue just for me. Please do keep the list going, I have often thought of asking for more but felt greedy so didn't, maybe I should. I would like to say thanks for the work you do and I really appreciate it.
Nick.
Northampton and MK member

Very much on a steep learning curve, just love the huge variety and how different succulents can be from one another.