BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Post by iann » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 pm

This list is not seed for sale, there is no stock update, and is completely separate from the society seedlist printed in the last journal of each year.

Seed on the list is donated by forum readers who have excess purchased seed or seed from their own plants. You can request it by contacting Chris following the instructions in the spreadsheet (check every tab!) and sending a stamp. The list is pretty much always up to date.
Cheshire, UK
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by sue46 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:01 pm

iann wrote:This list is not seed for sale, there is no stock update, and is completely separate from the society seedlist printed in the last journal of each year.

Seed on the list is donated by forum readers who have excess purchased seed or seed from their own plants. You can request it by contacting Chris following the instructions in the spreadsheet (check every tab!) and sending a stamp. The list is pretty much always up to date.
Thanks Iann. I have ordered before from the list and an idea what it is, but couldn't remember what I did to order or who contacted :lol: "Not seed for sale"? Thought it was though. I suppose what I meant by the update part, iis the list always updated when new seed is added and is it better to check with Chris as to what has been added.

Thanks for your help (tu)
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Chris43 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:37 pm

I am wondering if there is any point in keeping the seed list open? My last request for seed was some 6 months ago, and as time goes on the seed must just be ageing. If anyone else wants to try to revitalise it, please contact me.

For the first few years, it was pretty active, with many members donating seed, and many requesting it. But now there is little activity. Succulent seed in particular is in very short supply, and there are really only a couple of people who donate seed, hence limited choices.

I don't want to sit on a pool of seed with ever increasing lack of viability, as it won't be good for our members if they then want to try seed raising and fail. I have raised this before, and against my better judgement kept all the seed. Maybe its time to revisit it again.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
Chair of the Mammillaria Society.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
graham
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by graham » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Funnily enough I was thinking of having a look at what is there - and indeed there are a few that I will send you a note about.

It is certainly a shame that people who have contributed seed in the past should have that effort wasted - if it's just closed down, I mean.

But then perhaps it's just one of those things that have passed its time. Perhaps people tend to advertise spare seeds directly themselves - either for sale; free or swap, just because selling things oneself seem so frequent these days that it seems odd not to do it. That's what I was was going to do with some seeds that are coming up to harvest shortly (and in one particular case they wouldn't store anyway).

graham
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Chris, as the last post was over a year ago I am sure there must be other new members who like me were unaware of the seed pool. Without wishing more work for you, I would have thought or hoped that your post would generate a little more activity.
The six or seven packets of seeds that came with my welcome pack will be the first cactus seeds I have sown in over three decades so I will see how I get on with them this spring, though will not be requesting any seed this year, I would be sorry to see it fall by the wayside for lack of interest.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Chris43 wrote:I am wondering if there is any point in keeping the seed list open? My last request for seed was some 6 months ago, and as time goes on the seed must just be ageing. If anyone else wants to try to revitalise it, please contact me.
How about of organising a seed carrousel?

Instead of centralising it with one person, isn't it a nice idea of centralising all the seeds in an envelope and distribute that one in total to anyone interested?

After arrival of the envelop and after seeds of interest have been taken, this person just passes the envelope to the next person interested. It will only cost a few (international) stamps, so you will only be paying to send the envelope out again.

Now assume everyone that receives the envelope and takes something of interest out will also add some seeds (harvested from own plants?) to the lot. That can make a very dynamic mix of succulent seeds, worthwhile to receive it again after a few months to see what has been added by others.

I usually have lots of small amounts of seeds available of many species, that would perfectly suit a seed carrousel. I am sure I am not the only one that has many seeds to donate. It is easier than to send seeds to you, and then for you to send seeds I want back again. That way I have to pay twice, once to donate and once to receive. Too cumbersome.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Keith H wrote:...I am sure there must be other new members who like me were unaware of the seed pool.
Like Keith I also seem to have been unaware of the existence of the seed pool during my 1st year as a member. It does sound interesting but having just ordered as many seeds as I can manage from the "for sale" seed list I won't be able to take advantage of this option this year.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Chris43 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:24 pm

To Aiko,
I am aware of the carousel approach. The concern about this is the same as that associated with Round Robins - success is dependant upon the current receiver actually passing it on. Sadly that does not always happen. I'm not fussed about any work involved in handling the pool, my concern was over lack of use and ageing seeds.

To Keith H and Purzo,
I'm disappointed that you weren't aware of the Seed Pool. After all it is a sticky, not far down the page. But you did miss it, so I must accept that there may be others who also have missed it. I'll see what can be done to provide new Forum members with information about this. I don't now know what sort of Forum welcome pack people get, but will find out. I must admit that one reason for me putting my post up was to try to stimulate interest, as if there wasn't a lot, then it probably has run its day.

To Graham,
I got your request this evening and will reply in the morning. Thanks.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
Chair of the Mammillaria Society.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
steve.smith
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by steve.smith » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:41 pm

I must admit to being one of the few who have utilised this excellent facility in the recent past, always with kind attention from Chris.

I have been a member for just over a year and believe I have made three requests in that time for a dozen packets or so each time. I must admit to feeling I was being "greedy" at the third request, perhaps depriving other more experienced members of seed! I grow seed all year round and quite frankly will try my hand at any genus/species.

I have had mixed results with the seed, some germinating up to 100%, others with no or mixed germination. I have several rather splendid seedlings as a result and would be sorry to see it go.

I often wonder what happens to the "unsold" BCSS seed from the annual seedlist? Perhaps it can be put into this pool annually to re-establish a viable stock? Perhaps all the seed is sold? I believe it to be a good source of seed for perhaps the less experienced members to try their hand with no outlay other than a stamp!

Must re-visit the list before they are all snapped up!
Steve Smith

BCSS 50325 Leicestershire

Most Cacti and Succulents esp. Ariocarpus, Copiapoa, Eriosyce and thinking of branching into Asclepiads!
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Chris43 wrote:to Keith H and Purzo,
I'm disappointed that you weren't aware of the Seed Pool. After all it is a sticky, not far down the page. But you did miss it, so I must accept that there may be others who also have missed it.
Thank you for your response Chris. For my part it's probably my fault and just couldn't see the wood for the trees, there's alot of information on the forums so to begin with there is a certain amount of information overload and limited time to spend looking for it. I, for one, would like to use this facility in future but I am mostly interested in succulents and there don't seem to be that many available in the pool. Steve's suggestion for boosting the pool from the unsold seeds from the BCSS list sounds interesting though.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants