BCSS Forum Seed Pool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Forum Seed Pool

Post by Aiko » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Adding surplus seeds from the BCSS sounds interesting, I must say.

But I also have an idea: why don't we make a list of surplus seeds of anyone on this forum that is willing to donate? I have lots to donate (as my swap page indicates, where I hand out seeds I harvest from my own plants or have been given to me to hand out). Surely I am not the only one collecting seeds from varies own plants each season?

But the burden of sending everything out to a single person that deals with it is definitely not what I want: I will need to pay for postage to deliver, and then I don't even have the seeds to hand out to others that I know and have interest in those seeds too or I am not able to sown them myself when there are no takes for the seeds. I like to be in control of the seeds myself. But I don't mind participating in a bigger organised seed distributing scheme.

Maybe it is nice to set up something that is more like the MSG plant exchange scheme. The the summer MSG bulletin there is a long list of surplus plants and seeds of donating members. Anyone interested just contacts the donators, reimburse postage, and then the seed or plants requested are sent by post.

We can have the same seed (or even plants?) list here, but then of course more dynamic. Donators can add species they have available, and they can take species of the list if their stock runs out.

A new message in the thread puts the thread high up on the list of new posts or unread posts.

That way the list will not be looked over, the list can be dynamic and donators still stay in control.
I have been a donator on the MSG exchange scheme, and from my point of view it works like a charm.
Tony R
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Tony R » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 am

Aiko wrote: But I also have an idea: why don't we make a list of surplus seeds of anyone on this forum that is willing to donate?
Isn't this just what Chris's list is if you read the first posting on Page 1 and it has always been at the top of this Forum page?
Tony Roberts
Chairman, BCSS Dartford Branch
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 am

Aiko wrote:Anyone interested just contacts the donators, reimburse postage, and then the seed or plants requested are sent by post.
The advantage of the seed pool is that if I want 10 different lots of seeds, I only have to pay one lot of postage. If those 10 come from several different donors, I would have to pay multiple lots of postage. Postage costs are such that asking for 1 lot of seed from each source isn't economic compared to multiple packets from a single source.

I can vouch for good germination results from Seed Pool seed.

The Sedum Society has a variation on this system. Seed is sent in to Ray Stephenson. The January Newsletter lists all the seeds available, members put in their requests (email or post), then each lot of seed is divided between those who requested it, and posted with the April Newsletter. Sedum and allied genera do have dust like seed, which makes posting easier than for Astrophytum or other plants with large/fragile seeds.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Tony R wrote: Isn't this just what Chris's list is if you read the first posting on Page 1
No, it is not entirely the same. My proposal is more of an intermediate function, leaving everyone in control themselves.
Tony R wrote: and it has always been at the top of this Forum page?
But that is not relevant if one only checks out new messages, as I do. I never navigate to a certain forum topic and then click on a topic. I only look at the topics that pop up in the list of new messages. Why would I try to navigate the forum the hard way? And why would anyone anticipate people finding a topic just because it is given top place on a list while in fact there might not have been an update in months? If it pops up on the list of new posts, it is a notice to you as a user something new has happened. Otherwise you would simply expect people to go out and seach for it. How often does that happen? Cleary not enough, otherwise this thread would not have been here...
MikeT wrote:The advantage of the seed pool is that if I want 10 different lots of seeds, I only have to pay one lot of postage. If those 10 come from several different donors, I would have to pay multiple lots of postage. Postage costs are such that asking for 1 lot of seed from each source isn't economic compared to multiple packets from a single source.
Your way is beneficial for you, but maybe not for a donator. Otherwise the donators will need to pay postage (or the seed distributor wourl need to reimburse). Why would you want to scare away any donator that is willing to give away seeds (or plants) already, and then also let them pay for a one time postage to the seed distributor? It scared me away...

You as the one making a request for seeds get free seeds and only have to pay postage for it. You hardly get a bad deal with that. Even for international postage it might only cost you about one euro or one pound per request. It will be a lot cheaper than paying for seeds and for postage with any seed seller. Still a bargain for you, even if you only request one package of seed (some species are worth more than the postage, and you might also get more seeds compared to the price of the same seeds on seed seller lists to make it worthwhile). The times I had a request for just one species was of the choicier species like Pseudolithos migiurtinus, Ephithelantha bokei, Haworthia sordida and Euphorbia bupleurifolia, still for just a few seeds worth more than one little stamp and re-use of an envelope.

I know if I have to go through the financial trouble I would not donate, and I would like to be in control of my own seeds. Hence, the reason I haven't donated and just started my own little list. Or participate on the MSG list.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Chris43 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

I have no issue if you would like to run the pool in this way, Aiko. But I think that the majority of members being in the UK would object to paying International postage. I'm not going to change, as I think your proposal has some serious flaws. I'm off on holiday today, back on 5th February, and can continue the debate after that if anyone wants me to.

So Forum members, if you'd like a change in how we have operated to date, please let me know here. I will take an absence of replies as confirmation to carry on as now.

The fact that the Pool is publicised as a Sticky, and doesn't appear always in the list for new topics is, I believe, the way that this forum works. ALL regular items which members know to look at are Sticky's. If you don't bother to look at the whole page, and see that there are some regular items, but not always new, is unfortunate, but I suggest you are in the vast minority.

I find it difficult to believe that the cost of a 2nd class letter is any kind of deterrent to our members who have seed that they might wish to donate. As for the cost to people who want seed, it is the cost of two stamps, one to send a stamp, and the other to receive it. But if it is, again please let me know here.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Owner of a National Collection of the genus Mammillaria.
Chair of the Mammillaria Society.
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
Happy for other Forum members to drop by - pm first.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Chris43 wrote:as I think your proposal has some serious flaws.
Serious flaws even? I wonder what arguments you might have for that.

Why would someone in the UK object paying for international postage in contrary to national postage, I wonder. It only costs a few cents / pennies extra. But contradicting you don't see a deterrent for someone to pay for two stamps. This will be higher than one international stamp, at least based on postage prices up here.

I speak from experience: both on why I feel restricted to participate in the current form of your seed pool, and on why the MSG exchange (or my personal seed donation list) works from me both on the donating and receiving end. And why the current seed pool was unknown to me for a long time. With arguments. No need to shoot that down by mere assumptions you have.

But I am just trying to help you out here. Do with my advice as you please...
Chris43
BCSS Member

Post by Chris43 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:15 pm

The Seed Pool list is updated - a physical stock check should (!) mean that it is accurate, and also with the kind contributions from Tina and J. Fabio, it now has some nice seed of recent origin.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
jadegarden
BCSS Member

Post by jadegarden » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:59 am

Chris,

I haven't been on the forum for a few months now - caught up in other things and just now back to paying attention to my plants. I have been meaning to check the seedlist to see what's new so you will see that I just sent you a request.

Like Steve, you know that I have made several requests and indeed, I have felt "greedy" especially since I am restricted in my ability to donate to the seed pool (not sure that they would get through from Jamaica). Many of my seedlings are from seed pool seeds, and my collection has started to gather more interest from the passing public, because most of the species are not available here otherwise.

To comment on Aiko's suggestion - the carousel or the linking with individual traders really would not be of benefit to me because of my geographic location, and the cost of postage would really be signficant for me to be liaising with several individuals.

I only hope that the seedlist isn't shut down for lack of interest - seeds deserve a chance to become beautiful plants, although most of them don't make it.

Janine
JanD

The JaMaDa Collection: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
Chris43
BCSS Member

Post by Chris43 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Just to let interested people know that I have received a donation of seed which extends the range of species available to all members. The latest additions are from Tony Irons (Many thanks indeed), and most of those listed are about 100 seeds of each species, so plenty for all.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Chris43
BCSS Member

Post by Chris43 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 am

I have just listed another large batch of seed donated by Tony Irons, for which I am sure the members will be very grateful. It is all from 2012 sourced from Mesa Garden, so should be good and viable.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK