Cintia knizei from seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cintia knizei from seed

Post by David_L »

Has anyone got any experience of growing Cintia knizei from seed? I got some seed from Cactus Heaven in Malta last year,but only just got round to sowing it . To my surprise 8/10 seeds have germinated. Any special advice about growing them on or are they just like any other slow growing species?
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: ELTHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Cintia knizei from seed

Post by Nick »

David - cant think of any specific advice, mine are just plodding away in a tray of Arios, Turbs and the like. Plod being the operative word!!
Nick
Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Nothing specific except to say that these are slooooooowwww - I have an Escobaria minima sown at the same time which is almost giantlike in comparison....
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Thanks guys. I put them in with some other slow growers so moss permitting, they should be able to be left undisturbed for quite a while.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.

Post by Guest »

They are slow but relatively trouble free, to me they are like sulcorebutias.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Be careful of overwatering, as they tend to split...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I have sowed a lot of seeds from Cintia knizei this year too. The germination was very well. So I hope the rest will go fine too.

I do have one larger Cintia knizei since last year. I thought it could handle bright sunlight very well, but I have noticed that after a warm and sunny week my Cintia looked like it was collapsing. Feeling really soft, appearing it had too much water and is rotting. But I am sure that was not the case. So not knowing what was wrong exactly, I gave it some water and placed it in a shady location. After a week I noticed the plant was feeling hard again and looking okay. So placing back in it's sunny position. But again after warm wheater I noticed the same thing happening, and again placing it in a shady place and giving it water it plumped up. So I guess I can better keep it in a position with filtered sunlight.

So, am I wrong that Cintia knizei can take full sun like any Ariocarpus, Epithelantha or Turbinicarpus (knowing that Cintia knizei is not sharing the same habitat)?
lobman
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

Cintias in the main have a subterranean existence , growing in a scree like rubble , and are hard to find out of flower -- thats why they were unknown for so long . although the apex should be able to take high UV , they do not like to be roasted .
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Cintia's are tuberous rooted and like any tuberous rooted cacti their seedlings tend to develop the tuberous root underground before producing much top growth therefore may appear slow to develop above ground growth.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/CINTIA ... knizei.htm

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

My limited experience echos that of Aiko. I got excellent germination of this in 2009 and lost the whole lot one hot day in summer 2010. All other species in the same tray, same compost, same size pots, same age, were unaffected - and this includes some other high altitude South American species. I'd recommend keeping them cool/shaded and certainly will if I ever get seed again.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.