Classy or common

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_K
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Re: Classy or common

Post by David_K »

[attachment 5878 IMGP0983c.JPG]
Smaller plant on its own, as you can see the flower stem is taller than the plant.
Attachments
4bOORXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgAUAAAAYgAAABABAgAUAAAAdgAAADEBAgAYAAAAigAAADIBAgAUAAAAogAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAIAAKXEBwBeAQAAtgAAAAAAAABQRU5UQVggQ29ycG9yYXRpb24gAFBFTlRBWCBLMTBEICAgICAgICAASzEwRCBWZXIgMS4wMCAgICAgICAgICA
4bOORXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgAUAAAAYgAAABABAgAUAAAAdgAAADEBAgAYAAAAigAAADIBAgAUAAAAogAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAIAAKXEBwBeAQAAtgAAAAAAAABQRU5UQVggQ29ycG9yYXRpb24gAFBFTlRBWCBLMTBEICAgICAgICAASzEwRCBWZXIgMS4wMCAgICAgICAgICA (72.69 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

[attachment 5879 IMGP0982c.JPG]

Although not large in relation to the plant I still think the flowers are worth a closer look.
Attachments
4bOORXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgAUAAAAYgAAABABAgAUAAAAdgAAADEBAgAYAAAAigAAADIBAgAUAAAAogAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAIAAKXEBwBeAQAAtgAAAAAAAABQRU5UQVggQ29ycG9yYXRpb24gAFBFTlRBWCBLMTBEICAgICAgICAASzEwRCBWZXIgMS4wMCAgICAgICAgICA
4bOORXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgAUAAAAYgAAABABAgAUAAAAdgAAADEBAgAYAAAAigAAADIBAgAUAAAAogAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAIAAKXEBwBeAQAAtgAAAAAAAABQRU5UQVggQ29ycG9yYXRpb24gAFBFTlRBWCBLMTBEICAgICAgICAASzEwRCBWZXIgMS4wMCAgICAgICAgICA (55.76 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I like it!

My two large T. paniculatus plants (grown from seed from the Cape Peninsular) are similar in shape to your large one. They have rather silly, short flower spikes less than 10 cm long.

Your smaller plant has a much more impressive spike and a better, deeper red flower colour.

Incidentally, at the northern end of its range in Namibia, this species has glaucous leaves - different again.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Nobody has said much yet about growing Tylecodons. They are some of my favourites, and here is how I grow them:

Top shelf of the greenhouse (to get maximum winter light; they dont seem to mind frying in summer).

Water from about mid September to end of April - mid May.

No water in summer.

If you take cuttings, do so in Winter when they are growing. Do not dry the cuttings off. Instead, plunge in root dip, pot up, and start watering stright away.

Be VERY careful when repotting, else you will end up with lots of cuttings. Most have VERY fragile stems, and just trying to shake the old soil off a plant can easily break off many branches.

Finally, if anyone has any swaps or spares, please get in touch as I am always looking for further species to add to my collection!
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Victoria »

I am fond of Tylecodons too, but only have three at the moment: paniculatus, schaeferanus and striatus. My schaeferanus flowered for the first time at the weekend, it's a lovely miniature:

[attachment 6071 tylecodon_schaeferanusfl07-01.jpg]
Attachments
4T+6RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAKAAAAhgAAABABAgAKAAAAkAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAmgAAABsBBQABAAAAogAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAqgAAADIBAgAVAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA0wAAAP4BAABQYW5hc29uaWMATlYtR1MyMDAgAEgAAAABAAAASAAAAAEAAABDb3JlbCBQaG9
4T+6RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAKAAAAhgAAABABAgAKAAAAkAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAmgAAABsBBQABAAAAogAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAqgAAADIBAgAVAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA0wAAAP4BAABQYW5hc29uaWMATlYtR1MyMDAgAEgAAAABAAAASAAAAAEAAABDb3JlbCBQaG9 (60.5 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

A Tylecodon that always gives me pleasure is T.occultans. 3 tiny plants(less than 3mm tall) flower before the leaves appear.
[attachment 6072 IMG_4876a.jpg]
Attachments
4SN8RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4SN8RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (99.14 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Even classier is T.bodleyae.
[attachment 6073 IMG_4877a.jpg]
Attachments
4SC+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4SC+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (98.15 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

close up of the flower of T.bodleyae
[attachment 6074 IMG_4878a.jpg]
Attachments
4RXCRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4RXCRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (94.1 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Ooh I like that flower!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Hi everyone..... I'll stick my hand up here and say I rather like these "ugly treasures" too. My favourite of the ones I've got is T. bucholtzianus. I like the flower on the schaeferanus posted by Victoria. I shall have to see if I can get that one.

Jez
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.