Classy or common

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Classy or common

Post by Cactus Kid »

I have just bought a Tylecodon Grandiflorus.
Our speaker at the Havering branch meeting bought them along together with several other succulents I'd never heard of:shrugs:
When asking a couple of other members on their cultivation I was told, dont't bother!! Well, maybe in less polite language than that:shame: (mind you these were serious cacti men).
So.... has anyone got any growing tips for this plant as there doesn't seem to be much on the web.
I have a feeling they may be winter growers and don't want to start watering them too early.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Classy or common

Post by iann »

Snobbery, so sad. Grow them if you like them. What else did you get?

Tylecodon are mostly (all?) summer deciduous, so will be a bit of a challenge. Other than that don't know a lot about them.
Cheshire, UK
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thanks for the reply.
That was the only purchase I made on the day as I didn't have any idea what most of the plants were!
I only bought that cos it looked a bit like a stapeliad:)
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Is there any chance of a photo? I wouldn't normally consider any Tylecodon to look like a Stapeliad ;)
Cheshire, UK
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Ian,

The closest that comes to this description is T. ventriculosum without the leaves I would guess?

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

That sort of nonsense would make me more determined to grow that plant well! :D

I've never heard of it... but Google tells me it has beautiful orange bell flowers. And it's poisonous. Good luck with it! :gl:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thanks all.(tu)
There was some other Tylecodons there and one was in flower. It seemed to have an inflorescence comming out of nowhere and small dark bell like flowers hanging from it.
I'll keep it in semi shade for now and give it a dribble of water in August to try and encourage a few leaves, along with my pacypodium, and hope for the best.:shrugs:
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

I have a couple of Tylecodons - viridiflorus, bucholziana, wallichi and paniculata I think. They're winter growers and lose their leaves in the warmer weather, so yours should look a bit different in a couple of months. All seem pretty hardy as mine have been treated poorly over the years and aren't what you'd call prime examples, but they're still alive. Fairly easy to proagate from cuttings I've heard too..
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

This is Tylecodon Paniculata looking quite pants right now. Even when it's in flower it must rate pretty low down on the list of the world's most exciting plants.
The flowers are small, orangey with a green bit.
[attachment 5785 tylecodon003Custom.jpg]
Attachments
4RjTRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAVAA4BAgAPAAAACgEAAA8BAgAUAAAAGgEAABABAgAOAAAALgEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAPAEAABsBBQABAAAARAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAHAAAATAEAADIBAgAUAAAAVAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAcAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA
4RjTRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAVAA4BAgAPAAAACgEAAA8BAgAUAAAAGgEAABABAgAOAAAALgEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAPAEAABsBBQABAAAARAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAHAAAATAEAADIBAgAUAAAAVAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAcAEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAA (68.69 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thanks for the pic Pete,:D it looked a bit different, that was why I bought it. As with any horticltural setup, you have to have a framework of non showy plants to show the others off to their full potential.
Yours may not look outstandingly beautiful but it certainly catches the eye.