Plants of the Year

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Plants of the Year

Post by Bill »

Well that's another year nearly over, what have been your plants of the year. They could plants of your own that have done well, something new, something you have admired from another poster or site, anything really. Keep it to two pics each or we could end up with rather a long thread if every one joins in or you might be miserable oiks and not join in at all(:D

Here is the first on mine and no apologies for posting this again, but I have had this plant from a small offset from Selected Succulents and it's a very good from form of this variety, the other one I have is a very vigourous offsetter and looks nowhere near as neat as this single headed plant, which is showing no signs of offsetting. Not fashionable but a great looking plant in my opinion.
Haworthia emelyaea var. multiflora
[attachment 8407 mulitflora.jpg]
Attachments
mulitflora.jpg
mulitflora.jpg (90.16 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Re: Plants of the Year

Post by Bill »

And not surprising my number 2 is another Haworthia, no aplogies but it is a hybrid. I think its parentage is pretty obvious, truncata x maughanii. Over time the markings on the leaf tops are becoming more distinct and is now one of my favourite plants and fully deserving of a name (???).
Haworthia truncata X maughanii
[attachment 8408 hybrid.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (95.76 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

My first is a plant that flowered for the first time this year
Mamm. Theresa
[attachment 8409 100_1244MediumWebview.jpg]
Attachments
4Q1dRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAATAA8BAgAWAAAA8gAAABABAgAhAAAACAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQDlcCgBAwABAAAAAgAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAEZHAwABAAAAAADmcBJQBAABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAMgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAC0AAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAAAAAASkBQABAAAAKgEAAAWkAwABAAA
4Q1dRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAATAA8BAgAWAAAA8gAAABABAgAhAAAACAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQDlcCgBAwABAAAAAgAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAEZHAwABAAAAAADmcBJQBAABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAMgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAAC0AAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAAAAAASkBQABAAAAKgEAAAWkAwABAAA (61.65 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

And the second is a plant that I have had for couple of years and is growing on me
Gasteria
[attachment 8410 namesplease2.jpg]
Attachments
4Q7FRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAATAA8BAgAWAAAA8gAAABABAgAhAAAACAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQD1rigBAwABAAAAAgATBBMCAwABAAAAAQDQWkZHAwABAAAAAACiihJQBAABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAMgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAABvuwKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAAAFBASkBQABAAAAKgEAAAWkAwABAAA
4Q7FRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAATAA8BAgAWAAAA8gAAABABAgAhAAAACAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQD1rigBAwABAAAAAgATBBMCAwABAAAAAQDQWkZHAwABAAAAAACiihJQBAABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAMgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAABvuwKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAAAFBASkBQABAAAAKgEAAAWkAwABAAA (82.19 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Mine gave it's all and then expired through no apparent reason because the stock was still healthy!

Yavia cryptocarpa

[attachment 8411 Yavia.jpg]

DaveW
Attachments
8A
8A (99.91 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Sorry no picture ( I never got around to taking one) but plant of the year for me was Pediocactus simpsonii v. minor, flowering for the first time from seed sown in 1990. Not a very exciting flower, but a very long wait made it memorable!
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Lots of favourites but picked these two ,
[attachment 8412 IMG_0327.JPG]my first Ario to flower:D
Attachments
4SHxRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAVAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAAAAABoBBQABAAAAogAAABsBBQABAAAAqgAAADEBAgALAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAA0gAAAJIMAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTY0MAA
4SHxRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAVAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAAAAABoBBQABAAAAogAAABsBBQABAAAAqgAAADEBAgALAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAA0gAAAJIMAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTY0MAA (41.51 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

And this Parodia which flowered its heart out all summer ,
[attachment 8413 IMG_0317.JPG]
Attachments
4SS3RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAVAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAAAAABoBBQABAAAAogAAABsBBQABAAAAqgAAADEBAgALAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAA0gAAAJIMAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTY0MAA
4SS3RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAVAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAAAAABoBBQABAAAAogAAABsBBQABAAAAqgAAADEBAgALAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAvgAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAA0gAAAJIMAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTY0MAA (49.94 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Molly
Registered Guest

Post by Molly »

[attachment 8414 ortegpadj..jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (86.15 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Edenbridge branch member - particular interest cristates etc.
Molly
Registered Guest

Post by Molly »

[attachment 8415 turbinicarpusandersonii2.jpg]
The first is ortegocactus macdougallii which I've had for 6 years, first time flowering.
The second is turbinicarpus andersonii, bought last March and flowered in April.
Happy New Year everyone.
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (83.96 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Edenbridge branch member - particular interest cristates etc.