Opuntia query

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike P
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Opuntia query

Post by Mike P »

Hi all
I have been wiling away the winter evenings making a database of my collection (wish I had done this years ago) and have encountered name problem No 1.
I have an Opuntia labelled as 'hintonii' but cannot verify its name. There seem to be only one or two references on Google and I am not able to find it (or maybe recognise it) in any of the books I have.
This link shows the same plant that I have from a French site.
http://www.cactuspro.com/photos.php?act ... er&id=1620
Interestingly the one in the illustration seems to be grafted which may link with my experience of growing it. My plant reached about 6" in diameter before the centre portion rotted off (over generous watering early in the year I concluded) leaving me with a ring of rooted pads around the edge of the pot as each pad seems to root down as it grows. (I have been 'persuading' it to grow back towards the centre to fill the gap.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Re: Opuntia query

Post by Hob »

hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Thanks for that. Next time I will try searching the forum as well as Google.
Change of label needed.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Mike,

This name is a nomen nudum, it has not been formally published as a species. This plant is a species of Airampoa, nowaday the genus Tunilla. Opuntia hintonii is placed in the synonym of Tunilla corrugata in the New Cactus Lexicon. There is an article by Roy Mottram about Opuntia hintonii in Tephrocactus Study Group 10 (4) 2004, where he places this plant in Opuntia corrugata as O. corrugata subsp. brevispina.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Typed the other post and after I submited it I saw that Hob had beaten me on the answer ;)

So the name of your plant is Tunilla corrugata, and a nice form of that species from the picture you showed us.

Plants of Tunilla have this habit of forming fairy rings - the species of the genus creep along the ground, the new pads rooting and the older pads dying out, and some mounds in the field end up looking like fairy rings :)

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Thanks Marlon
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Further question
Any idea about this one? I have owned it for about 30 years and have regenerated it from scratch three times in that period. In all this time it has not flowered so I have now let it root through the pot and out into the ground beneath.As a consequence it is now about 1.5m high....and lethal as you brush past it.
I had for a long time believed it to be Opuntia engelmannii but have lately decided it is Opuntia stricta.
Any thoughts welcome.
[attachment 8504 Opuntia.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (96.39 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Ooh I got one of those nasty beggers too Phil, be interesting to know what it is.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Mike,

Not Opuntia stricta, pads of wrong shape, spines not yellow enough, epidermis too glaucous. I think Opuntia engelmannii is still a better match.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Mike P
BCSS Member

Post by Mike P »

Thanks Marlon
Unless it flowers some year soon its going to have to go....
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch