La Gomera one of the gems of the Canary Islands

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: La Gomera one of the gems of the Canary Islands

Post by Liz M »

To complete the set of other islands that can be seen from La Gomera, Hierro, in the misty distance
IMG_8598.40001.jpg
Another day and off to a place in the National park where the plantlife is particularly good. Also, a lot of the introduced Agaves and Opuntias have been removed. In places hillsides are completely covered in these and nearly all the native vegetation has disappeared. It is a lesson on why we should think twice about introducing alien species. First a picture of the incredible thistle that was coming into flower over the island
IMG_8628.10001.jpg
A hillside in the National Park, with a good coating of native plants
IMG_8636.10001.jpg
Aeoniums, Euphorbia and the local Echium

Another hillside showing some of the Aeoniums, mostly A aureum and castello-paivae
IMG_8640.210001.jpg
A close up which appears to show a hybrid between the two
IMG_8640.310001.jpg
Last edited by Liz M on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

A good collection of plants
IMG_8646.20001.jpg
Showing a Monanthes, Aeoniums castello-paivae, aureum and gomerense

Aeonium aureum closing up for the summer dormancy
IMG_8647.20001.jpg
What looks to me to be another hybrid between A castello-paivae and aureum
IMG_8649.10001.jpg
A big clump of Aeonium castello-paivae, there were some very large ones here, where the local flora is very rich
IMG_8652.10001.jpg
A close up of Aeonium canariense var subplanum in flower, in a shady spot
IMG_8675.10001.jpg
Last edited by Liz M on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

The local Echium, unfortunately we missed the flowers, these are the seedheads forming
IMG_8679.20001.jpg
A final look at the scenery in this part of the Park, showing the pine covered mountains and volcanic cones pushing up through them
IMG_8685.20001.jpg
A last view of La Gomera as it fades into the sunset and we return to Tenerife
IMG_8724.10001.jpg
La Gomera was such a wonderful experience and if you like Aeoniums, as I do, (did you guess?) you cannot do better than go there. I am hoping to get to La Palma sometime soon, where the Aeoniums and probably other plants are different.
Apologies for some of the pictures, I know they were not great but it was hazy quite a lot of the time.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Liz - what absolutely wonderful evocative pictures! I have visited La Gomera twice, yet evidently still missed some of the sights this magical little island has to offer! I think it has more breathtaking scenery per square mile than anywhere I have travelled to. Where did you stay? We stayed in San Sebastian each time but I am gussing you were elsewhere.

I have La Palma high on my list of places to visit, too and discovered just yesterday there are direct flights from Gatwick and Manchester once a week - Thomson do flights and/or packages - rather than the ferry. Looks like my September holiday plans are about to start. Gotta love the Canaries!!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Brilliant set of photos Liz (tu)
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

A remarkable range! I'm so used to seeing Canary photos featuring 2 or 3 species that I hadn't expected to see so many different plants. Great!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Thank you everyone, I had not expected such a response. It truly is a magical island, with so much variation and things to see. I stayed in Santiago, at the Hotel Jardin Tecina. It was built by Fred Olsen, who seems to have put a lot of time and money into the place. It is right next to the golf course, if you are interested and is very comfortable.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

What a magnificent and extraordinary trip.... Lucky you Liz M.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
srboisvert
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by srboisvert »

You appear to have also found a reservoir habitat for the sun. I think it is now seriously endangered around these parts.
Stephen Boisvert
Chicago, USA
My Plant Photos on Flickr
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Liz M wrote:I stayed in Santiago, at the Hotel Jardin Tecina. It was built by Fred Olsen, who seems to have put a lot of time and money into the place. It is right next to the golf course, if you are interested and is very comfortable.
I drove over that way one day - a lovely spot - Playa de Santiago was sooo cute! There again, most of the island is fantastic.

As an aside, the groves of Phoenix canariensis you drive through on the roads down to both Santiago and Valle Gran Rey are amongst the largest wild stands of this palm left - and overall there are more on La Gomera than any other Canary Island. With planting of Phoenix dactylifera in the resorts (such as they are) and the ease with which hybridising takes place in the genus, I fear there won't be much pure Canary Island Date Palm left within a few generations. Certainly cultivated stock is now a right old mix.

As another aside, from San Sebastian we went for a walk along the sea cliffs to the west - a very arid environment. About 25mins into the walk I caught a glimpse of some movement and saw a huge lizard scurrying off, I'd guess 15" long. I found out later this was the Gomeran Giant Lizard, one of the rarest things on the planet! What a treat!

I think it is a shame that the reputation of the Canary Islands get tarnished by the yob factor in the southern beach resorts like Playa de Las Americas and Los Cristianos in Tenerife. These islands are botanical treasure troves, espceially those with wetter and mountainous terrains - the diversity is incredible.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.