Lanzarote

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: UK succulents

Post by Julie »

Wow, great pics, fellas. I didn't realise we had so many succulents, especially the umbrella shaped one on Mike's roof. Now I think of it, my mother used to have one in the garden she called Tumbling Tom.

Now that's the prettiest garage roof I ever did see. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Tumbling Tom? That's a tomato isn't it ?

"larger & deeper colour" flowers sounds more like D. cooperi. Here is a flower (purchased with a different name, but 99% it is D. cooperi), note the lack of a white eye. Flowers are up to 2" across but will be smaller when they first open. D. cooperi also has noticeable (except on my photo!) papillae arranged in lines along the leaves.
[img]http://www.galleries.thegardenforums.or ... operi2.jpg[/img]
Cheshire, UK
Bill

Re: Lanzarote

Post by Bill »

[quote]MikeT wrote:
...and Carpobrotus edulis. Some cliff faces had patches of hundreds of square yatds of this, smothering everything else. As it's classed as a local menace, I took a cutting to root back home but it didn't survive the first winter. It has the reputation of being much harder to grow awat from the coast, gives me a good excuse in the Pennines[/quote]

What an idiot, me that is. When we were in Mallorca no 2 daughter picked up this broken off bit of succulent (for dad) at a monastry in the mountians, which ended up in my greenhouse unlabled and is now rooted and yes you've guessed it, it's carpobrotus edulis. So this interesting bit is what's it doing halfway up a mountain growing like a weed, if it likes the seaside.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
iann
BCSS Member

Re: Lanzarote

Post by iann »

All of Mallorca is pretty close to the sea :)

I don't think Carpobrotus likes temperature extremes. It isn't particularly frost hardy and it doesn't do well with heatwaves and severe drought, although probably OK in any heat the UK has to offer. Presumably pretty salt tolerant as well.
Cheshire, UK
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Maria,

Samphire in my book is Salicornia. This is a problem with common names - they get used for different plants. The true Samphire is used as a vegetable in areas such as East Anglia. I've certainly seen it for sale in coastal towns in Norfolk, e.g. Wells next the Sea.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Yes that's the one I mean Colin, also called 'poor man's asparagus'!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Maria,

'Poor man's asparagus' is a new common name on me - interesting. I wouldn'y say that Salicornia and asparagus tasted anything like each other, but then again maybe my taste buds aren't hypersensitive!

Anyone out there really enjoy Samphire? I believe it goes very well with fish - true or not? I've only had small tasters by picking it on the beach.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I was watching that programme on global warming last week (Climate Change - Britain Under Threat) and they were looking at an eco housing project that had sedum growing on the roof. I guess this both insulates and moderates water run-off. Here's how it is done

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Phil,

There's been quite a lot of info around recently about green rooves involving sedums. In my experience with growing hardy sedums outdoors in pots, I don't think these rooves are as low maintenance as the hype makes out!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Depends on the species, some of them are weeds that would behave best if mowed every few months!
Cheshire, UK