John B Sewell, Warrington branch

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
David R
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

John B Sewell, Warrington branch

Post by David R »

I regret to announce the death of John Sewell, well known in Southport and Warrington for many years. He was, I believe, 84 years old, and a solitary kind of man, who allowed no visitors to either his collection, nor his house. I only found out by going to a neighbour who told me he had been cremated 3 weeks ago, after a spell of 4 weeks in hospital. He was a single man, with a sister with whom he had no contact. I understand that his valuable collection, built up over many years and containing many superb cacti and succulents ( which we only saw at our show) was "binned". If only ---

David R
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: John B Sewell, Warrington branch

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thats really sad , sad thet he died but sounds like a sad life also :shrugs:
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Philip B
BCSS Member

Post by Philip B »

Very sad to hear the news from David.
Also a great shame that his many wonderful plants could not live on, to be treasured by his friends in and around Southport.

RIP John.
Philip
Manchester Branch

Supplier of Pots and Bowls (BEF Square Pots)
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Very sad and an oft told tale of the fate of collections too. It is something we all need to think about is the fate of our collections after we have gone,

Bill
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

John was extremely independent. I once brought his purchases back from ELK, an event he enjoyed. He found his way there by overnight ferry from Hull, then from Zeebrugge down the coast to Blankenburg, sometimes carrying a couple of cardboard boxes for the plants.

He was a decent man and a stalwart of the Warrington Branch, being the treasurer there. One of the 'unsung heroes' of the hobby. R.I.P. John.
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Sorry to hear about John, he was a regular at the Haworthia Conventions in Leicester, travelling there and back by public transport. He supported the event by bringing plants for sale, and often went home with boxes of plants bought at the Convention.

I'm sure he enjoyed his plants, and his quiet support of all the events he attended will be missed.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.