ELK 2020

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

ELK 2020

Post by Stuart »

With all the cancellations so far this year, I just had a look at the ELK website. The general feeling is that September is a long way off and things might have got back to normal by then but it will be a case of watching the website for any fresh info. It's nice to something a bit optimistic these days.
Stuart
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK 2020

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I was thinking the same Stuart we may still have a show or sales event later in the year and ELK is always the one to look forward to, but for now lets all keep safe and well.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

When we were getting off the ferry at Dunkirk last year there was a sign saying ' phytosanitary check' ( or something similar), did anyone else spot this ?, it has us a little worried incase we are stopped coming back as we were told about French Police accosting Brits with plants being threatened with havung your car & plants confiscated or pay a fine.
we were wondering about the hull to zeebrugge ferry but its very expensive (£340)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Belgian cafes and restaurants look to be reopening from 8th June, I've not heard of any problems with bringing plants back, I came back through France last month and had the Customs dog have a quick sniff in the van which was clearly full of plants but no problems or request for plant passports which I had ready if needed.
Stuart
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Sadly, ELK cancelled this year.
Stuart
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I knew it might happen but I'm traumatised :duh: , its the highlight of my year.
Most if not all my C & S shopping is done this weekend, 2020 ughh bring on 2021
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I am not counting on any fair to go through up here. I reckon the MSG event in Banstead in October and other events in the UK will also be canceled.

Of course some fairs might be pushed forward to winter. But then again, many don't want to buy or sell plants in winter (for whatever reason). I would not mind myself, though. I would prefer winter.

Up here there is just one succulent fair that has not been cancelled but currently open to be rescheduled later in the year. It was supposed to happen early April. Let's see if that one will happen eventually. All others have been cancelled. One that is supposed to happen in August each year is still on the calender. For now.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 pm It was supposed to happen early April. Let's see if that one will happen eventually.
It did not.

Reading back, funny how some of us (including me) were anticipating things might be better again in the autumn. By now I doubt there will be a fair in spring. Usually the ELK has a new date set at least a year before it should take place. But I don't see a date mentioned on www.elkcactus.eu just yet.
majcka
BCSS Member

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:36 pm But I don't see a date mentioned on www.elkcactus.eu just yet.
What do you mean you don't see a date mentioned just yet??? It says:

"We look forward to meeting you again next year, from Friday 10 till 12 September 2021. In the meantime, we wish you a beautiful summer, enjoy your plants and stay healthy!"

Isn't that it? :?: :?:
Maja
BCSS No. 50507

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier.
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Then I totally overlooked that!

(Usually it is more prominent, though...)