North West Cactus Mart and Mesemb Show

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Peter B
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

North West Cactus Mart and Mesemb Show

Post by Peter B »

There is no chance in our view that either of these events can take place so:

North West Cactus Mart re-scheduled for Saturday August 29th - CANCELLED
Next proposed Mart is SATURDAY MAY 1ST 2021

North West Mesemb Show scheduled for Saturday October 10th - CANCELLED
However it is not all doom and gloom as, following a zoom meeting this morning with the organisers of the Banstead Mesemb Event it has been agreed that there will be a MESEMB DAY on SATURDAY OCTOBER 3RD 2020 where we will present an afternoon of very interesting mesemb events. It will be a zoom event similar to the Society Tuesday evenings. As news becomes available it will be posted. The event is from 2 to 5pm on that day.

The next Mesemb Shoiw is proposed for Saturday October 9th 2021.
Peter B,
Manchester Branch Chairman
NCSS/BCSS member since late 1960's - strong interest in mesembs in general and Lithops in particular, Haworthias and enjoy growing all forms of cacti & succulents
stockportdave
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: North West Cactus Mart and Mesemb Show

Post by stockportdave »

Peter/All

Anyone know if the Mart is likely to go ahead on Saturday 1st May as mentioned ?

Regards
Stockportdave
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I'm meeting some Manchester colleagues tomorrow (Thursday) and will check, but based on the conversation I had with Peter Bint on Sunday last, I would doubt it. The main problem is the renter of the Hall not wanting cross contamination across user groups. Currently the Hall is being used by ONE community user solely.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Update/Edit

"There will not be a Mart on the 1st May 2021
The Mart will be part of the BCSS Northern Show 28 / 29 August 2021 at the new RHS Bridgewater"
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

BCSS Northern Show in four months time, first I've heard about it. We're fast becoming a secret society! Have I missed something?

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

I don't have all of the details, but being in the north and trying to take an active part, I have been told of its existence, subject to the Covid-19 etc. regulations. It has been discussed by the Zone reps, I believe, and several venues had been suggested, finally the opening of the new RHS site seems to have been the main catalyst.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 am BCSS Northern Show in four months time, first I've heard about it. We're fast becoming a secret society! Have I missed something?

Stuart
It was advertised in the April BCSS eNews:

CactusWorldLIVE 28–29 August 2021

This summer, CactusWorldLIVE ‘A succulent adventure’ will be held in the north-west of England over the August bank holiday at RHS Bridgewater in Salford, Manchester. This is the brand new RHS garden that is opening this year. The BCSS will be hosting this two-day event and we are hoping for some wonderful August Bank Holiday sunshine but remember, this is Manchester, so don’t forget your brolly.

More details about the event will be shared over the coming months. If you would like to help us out to ensure the event runs smoothly by giving us some of your time please get in touch with Joanne.adderely@live.co.uk
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
stockportdave
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by stockportdave »

All

Thanks for the info much appreciated, i must admit i am looking forward to the new event

Regards
Stockportdave