Hi from High Wycombe

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
KWerner
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Hi from High Wycombe

Post by KWerner »

Hi from High Wycombe!
My name's Klaus and I have been a member of the local branch for a few years and enjoy the many varied travel talks. Been into cactii and succulents in a small way ever since I can remember. I am very proud of one barrel type cactus that I started from seed about 30 odd years ago. I think it belongs to the Ceroid family but haven't got a cast-iron identification. Remember being told that in will flower in another 20 years time! Maybe the photograph helps but it's difficult to capture as it's tall (about 35cm).
Attachments
20191228_215307824_iOS.jpg
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Hi from High Wycombe

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Klaus. That looks a good healthy plant, I'm sure someone will be able to identify it for you.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

It looks like a common cactus around these parts (Sonoran desert), Pachycereus pringlei. If kept warm and watered when actively growing, it should bloom in less than 10 years.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Hi Klaus
Welcome to the forum.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Yes, it's Pachycereus Pringlei though it doesn't grow in the desert north of the Mexican border. Nice to have some input from Tucson, I've given talks there and their meetings are quite outstanding with over 350 in attendance and an enormous amount of food! I can't imagine there's a larger cactus group anywhere.

Stuart
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

It is not an Arizona native, but they do quite well in many parts of this section of the Sonoran desert. One advantage they have over our native Saguaro is their growth rate is about twice as fast.

You are correct about the size of the club here. The only one I know of which may be larger is the San Diego club (former member).