Hello from Kidsgrove

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Willy53
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Hello from Kidsgrove

Post by Willy53 »

Hi
My name is Dave. I have just rejoined the group. I used to be a member a few years ago when i was growing cacti.
A lot has happened since then. I am now disabled and house bound and live with my wife and carer Pat.
I have taken a keen interest in Lithops and conophytums. I have purchased my first packets of seeds from the group and several other suppliers. I am at present looking into the compost mixtures people are using, there are so many from all over the world. I am also looking at how different growers sow their seeds eg. starting them off on damp cotton wool or in trays on the compost. I would be very interested in other peoples views on theses subjects.

Dave Williams
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hello from Kidsgrove

Post by el48tel »

Welcome to the forum Dave
You will find the discussion interesting and lively.
If you get 20 replies to the questions .... there will be 20 different points of view from which you choose!
I use John Innes #2 with 2 to 6 mm granite grit in a 50:50 mix for everything and adjust according to the needs of the task.
I've tried sowing on paper for Haworthia and that is very successful compared to composts of varying mix. The timing of planting on is the bit with which I lack the skills. My daughter uses 100% vermiculite for seed sowing.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tishania
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tishania »

Welcome Dave
Like you I have returned after a few years away (a good few years) and I look forward to seeing some the replies you get.

I started off using much the same potting mix as I did before but have since been experimenting with various different options, the one that seems to be an improvement already is a reduction (or elimination) of the amount of peat included.

Seeds were sown using the baggy method and it seems to have been largely successful.
I did try an experiment of sowing some of my own Notocactus seed on damp kitchen towel.
It worked quite well although I was a bit worried the tiny seedlings might get damaged during transfer to pots.

The most important thing I have learned is that all that really matters is that you are enjoying what you do.

Ed
Returned member interested in anything that won't injure me or my wallet.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Dave, it's good that you have returned to your previous hobby and I'm sure you will find a lot to interest you here. I completely agree with Ed's final sentence above, enjoy growing your plants! :welc:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias