Greetings from Warsaw

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
TomaszB
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Greetings from Warsaw

Post by TomaszB »

Hi all,
Cacti has fascinated me since the mid 80'. I even converted one of my aquariums in a propagator and tried to raise some cacti from seeds, which I had bought in East Germany (in Poland they were hard to obtain at this time). I got a lot of seedlings, unfortunately, I made enough mistakes to kill these plants. In the mid 90' I almost quit with my hobby, because I had no place for proper wintering of my plants. However, I always had some cacti. Now,, much too late, I noticed the availability of frost-resistant cacti and became a little bit crazy about cacti again. Moreover, winters are warm nowadays, so I plan to keep many of my plants on the balcony, of course shielded from rain and snow. I am reading this excellent forum for a some time and now I am proud to be the part of this community,
Best Regards :-)
Tomasz
Best regards :-)
Tomasz
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Greetings from Warsaw

Post by Phil_SK »

Welcome! I'm glad you got your access sorted eventually. :smile:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Welcome!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Hello. Outdoor balcony sounds interesting - how open is it and do the plants get any water in winter or are you able to keep them totally dry?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

I grew cacti on an unglazed balcony for a few years, some (Echinocereus, Escobaria, Gymnocalycium etc.) protected from rain and snow by a sheet of plastic, some (Opuntia) unprotected. I brought the less hardy types inside on really cold nights, otherwise that setup worked well, mostly.
TomaszB
Registered Guest

Post by TomaszB »

It will be the first winter, so I am not sure how it will work. The setup is similar to that of anders. The cacti will stay on the shelf, covered from the top by another shelf (summer place :-) ) and with shields made from the cell polycarbonate from open sides of balcony. We had heavy rain last few days and, except one place, which should be modified, it worked pretty well. And yes, in case of severe frost, only frost-resistant Echinocerei end Escobarias will stay on the balcony and the rest will be moved inside (refrigerator for a while?).
Best regards :-)
Tomasz