Hello from Wales

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
ChrisGillard
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello from Wales

Post by ChrisGillard »

Hi everyone, I'm Chris from South Wales. I've been keeping cacti for quite a few years, but my passion has really exploded this year. I've gone from just a handful of cacti on 2 windowsills, to sharing half a 8x6 greenhouse over the spring and summer, and am just in the final stages of putting up a 6x6 greenhouse which will be just for my cacti.

Most of my collection consists of Gymnocalycium, but I also have Mammillaria, Parodia, Echinocereus, Echinocactus, Echinopsis and a recently purchased Denmoza. Next year I also plan to purchase some Acanthocalycium.

I have also been growing cacti from seed that i purchased from Ebay and sowed in a heated propagator back in February and March. I now have a mixture of Echinopsis, Mammillaria, Echinocereus, Rebutia and Gymnocalycium seedlings that are growing under a grow light. I also have some Sempervivum seedlings that are my first foray into succulents. I plan on sowing a lot more seeds next year gathered from my own plants that I pollinated in the spring and summer.

Although I have learnt quite a bit this year from trying things out really, I can't wait to get advice from much more knowledgeable people, that's why I joined the society and this forum and can't wait to chat to you guys.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Hello from Wales

Post by el48tel »

Welcome Chris.
You will certainly find us a broad church, and lots of knowledgeable folk.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Welcome to the Forum Chris, it sounds as though you have a good range of plants and I'm sure they will appreciate the new greenhouse! You will find plenty of helpful advice here, and it's worth going to your local branch meetings when they can resume. Enjoy you plants!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Welcome to the forum, Chris.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Zigs
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Zigs »

Welcome to the forum :smile:
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Welcome Chris! There's certainly a wealth of knowledge here.
ChrisGillard wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:33 pm Most of my collection consists of Gymnocalycium, but I also have Mammillaria, Parodia, Echinocereus, Echinocactus, Echinopsis and a recently purchased Denmoza.
The Denomoza would have been from myself, along with a couple of Gymnos. I hope they are looking good (although they won't be doing much / anything for a few months). Are they in an unheated greenhouse?