July 2019 - The story behind the photo

May 2017 - May Blossom
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

July 2019 - The story behind the photo

Post by rodsmith »

I invite you to submit a photo of one of your succulent plants that has an interesting back story. The winner will be the one with the best plant and story (in my opinion :wink: ). Good luck to all entrants.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: July 2019 - The story behind the photo

Post by el48tel »

rodsmith wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:03 pm I invite you to submit a photo of one of your succulent plants that has an interesting back story. The winner will be the one with the best plant and story (in my opinion :wink: ). Good luck to all entrants.
What a great idea!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Sometimes the sense of humour that I have proves too strong to resist interpreting the competition theme in a very literal way.

julycomp2.jpg

[there is actually an anecdote about the book in the photo]
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Chris L wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 pm Sometimes the sense of humour that I have proves too strong to resist interpreting the competition theme in a very literal way.

julycomp2.jpg

[there is actually an anecdote about the book in the photo]
:lol:
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member

And do you mean only non cactus succulents?
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Echinocactus123 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 pm And do you mean only non cactus succulents?
No I mean all succulent plants, which includes cacti. All cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti. :wink: :???:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member

Hello,
This is turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus, it was the cactus that first got me into turbinicarpus with its unusual spines and an endless stream of seeds. It has always really been my show cactus and I like it.

I dont know if this is the type of story you have been looking for but I thought that I would have a go. :lol: :smile:
Attachments
20190703_082651.jpg
Last edited by Echinocactus123 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry,

rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

I dont know if this is the type of story you have been looking for but I thought that I would have a go. :lol: :smile:
This is absolutely the sort of thing I had in mind. (tu)
Rod Smith

juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Well Rod, it seems you have set a bit of a challenge, so here's the photo
IMG_0818.JPG
This is a cutting from one of my first ever plants, given to me by my Dad in 1965 - I was still at school. He bought 3 plants from a florist in Penzance, near where we lived. He also found a book, The Flowering of your Cacti, by Edgar Lamb, I've still got it and it cost six shillings, that's 30p in today's money and probably was quite a sum at the time. I've assumed that Dad was trying to get me into a quiet hobby, teenage girls loved The Rolling Stones at the time, or at least this one did! Anyhow, I grew the plants on my bedroom window ledge and was soon 'hooked'; the rest is history, but I'm so glad that Dad set me off on a hobby that has fascinated me for all these years, given me so much interest and so many friends.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Have I been too challenging in my choice of topic this month? There are still 7 days to go, so let's have some more offerings please. Get your thinking caps on.
Rod Smith