May 2017 - May Blossom
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: May 2020 - Virtual Table Show

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tina wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:23 pm Yes restricted pot size is a nightmare, its often 18cm & my favourite pans are 20cm.
I thought everyone would have some plants in small pots and it is a photo competition which is going to be my excuse for not choosing the "best" plant as the winner.

Just looking for pictures that are like this
Plant
Plant
rather than just the flower
flower
flower
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

My Rebutia steinmanii in a 9 cm pot, picture taken on 20 May 2020.

Rebutia steinmanii flowers 20 May 2020 Fujinon 55mm 1.8 824.jpg
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Not exactly the most exciting specimen I guess, but it's my first flower ever, so I am excited! Photo made with my mobile, so far from professionalism of others, but must do for now, apologies. 6.5 cm cheap plastic pot it came with, still waiting for clay ones to arrive.

A few more side to side comparison with the night-time, when the plant is closed here: https://imgur.com/a/2DLWvw5
Mat
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Nice plant and lovely flower.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Mugshot of a small Argentinian caught while bravely attempting to escape from an 8.5cm pot
Escape255s.jpg

and for good measure (not a macro :) ) :- just a close-up so as not to be mistaken for the Scarlet Pimpernel :)
Pimpernell212s.jpg
moniker250.jpg
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Ok I'll stop trying to be an amateur comedian (aka clown !) and show one I did earlier in the 'Jim' style :)

"Full of Promise" in 8.5cm.
(Indeed, since I took that snap two more have opened.)
JimStyle247.jpg
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thelocactus hexaedrophorus
Attachments
2020-05-31 15-24-57 (C,Smoothing4).jpg
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

I thought there might be a few more entries yesterday following Irwin Lightstone's talk arranged by the American society.

In setting the topic for this competition I did ask for the whole plant to be visible, this was to make it possible to capture a suitable image on a smart phone or tablet. I haven’t tried looking at the exif data from any of the entries to find out what equipment was used but MatDz has admitted using a phone.

I did say in an earlier comment that I would be judging photographs rather than plants, not sure which entries are old/difficult to grow so I my shortlist of potential winning images were entries from (in no particular order) MarDz, HaoBao, rodsmith and el48tel.

After much switching between tabs with full screen images the winner is HaoBao’s Astrophytum ‘White Zebra’
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:10 am I did say in an earlier comment that I would be judging photographs rather than plants, not sure which entries are old/difficult to grow so I my shortlist of potential winning images were entries from (in no particular order) MarDz, HaoBao, rodsmith and el48tel.

After much switching between tabs with full screen images the winner is HaoBao’s Astrophytum ‘White Zebra’
So close! But definitely agree, the 'White Zebra' Astro is beautiful.
Mat
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

Thank you Jim! I was just trying to make up the numbers though, I didn’t want the pressure of judging again haha. I’ll put a new competition up a little later today, I’ll have a look at the past months to see if there’s anything new to have a competition about.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.