January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

May 2017 - May Blossom
GiacomoP
BCSS Member
Posts: 29
Joined: 15 Dec 2020
Branch: None
Country: Italy
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by GiacomoP » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

Bulbines are quite simple to grow, may be not all of species. Even raising from seeds is not that complicate. Bulbines often flower during the first two years (some of then after 5-6 months) and if you have, at least, two plants you can get your own seeds. Given for granted that they are winter growing plants and do not have the permanence of cacti, in fact, they disappear during summer (when they Rest In Pot) to come back in autumn. A fascinating cycle, in common with other South African (and non) bulbs. Well drained soil (50% sand or so) and a lot of light keep them compact and nice.Anyway, in the forum there are people that mastered the art of growing bulbines much more than me!!!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Posts: 350
Joined: 25 Oct 2018
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Country: England
Role within the BCSS: Member
Contact:

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by HaoBao » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:33 am

Some that I think are acceptable, please say if they’re not. (I’d be amazed if I spelled these correctly)

Namibia Ponderosa.
Lapidaria Margaretae.
Cheiridopsis Vansylii.
Adromischus Hallii, variegated.
Schwanestia Tribinieri.
Adromischus Hallii, Aurus Mountain.
Attachments
BB79B6C0-2B7B-4E76-A2B0-C68859506240.jpeg
D876CD19-21AE-43D1-A19D-5BB747D5AC80.jpeg
6C4E0FC8-1633-4CE7-A592-38F16C8EA086.jpeg
2FF1756E-7486-4AD6-BBF6-90447B45B8D6.jpeg
1843CD4A-1BE2-4558-BD1B-3B0EF5DA936D.jpeg
91FEDCC1-2811-4078-80A6-10313BE71582.jpeg
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Posts: 325
Joined: 24 Jul 2018
Branch: TEESSIDE
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member
Location: not of this world

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by Ernie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:28 pm

Crassula namaquensis. A clues in the name where its from so it wont get NAS. :grin: photo taken26/1/2021

P1010469.JPG
User avatar
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Posts: 1994
Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by Jim_Mercer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm

After a lot of checking in my Namaqualand book ( including the map that came with it) and even more searching via google especially for some of the names, no one has been awarded a NAS.

I did watch the recent zoom meeting on showing and judging but not sure how much of that applies to these entries as this is a Photo Competition not a plant show.

Aiko - I did like the 3rd picture of conophytum burgeri but usual problem with close up pictures of getting enough of the subject in focus, I would try a focus stack

Ali baba - not sure what it is (pachypodium namaquanum?) but short focal length of phone camera has helped get most of the image in focus (looked at exif data)

GiacomoP - Bulbine haworthioides is not among the bulbines in my book but habitat from Llifle puts in on the map. Just need a bit of quartz gravel to get the habitat look (almost back to the judging zoom meeting which seemed to make some form of top dressing a requirement for most points for presentation)

HaoBao - I would try and seperate the plants before taking the pictures - I even keep some pieces of card in my greenhouse to put behind plants when taking photographs

Ernie - very nice pot which I think is supposed to be ignored when judging but nicely staged plant, but looking clsely at the picture some the the flowers a blurred and there is one missing as one stem goes past the top of the image (was this a deliberate crop ?) There are a few ppictures of this plant in my book and it would appear that growing in the UK has produced a much paler plant than those in habitat (but it does look like my plant)

This month's winner is Aiko - with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
User avatar
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Posts: 1994
Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by Jim_Mercer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Same plant (Crassula ausensis ssp ausensis), just different approaches to taking photograph

In Greenhouse
web-1459.jpg
on staging
add card
web-1460.jpg
with card
move plant
web-1462.jpg
move plant
bring plant indoors with "proper" photo background
web-1468.jpg
take indoors
focus stack
web-1473stack1.jpg
User avatar
Aiko
BCSS Member
Posts: 3360
Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Branch: None
Country: Netherlands
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by Aiko » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Jim_Mercer wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm
This month's winner is Aiko
Yeehaw!
I will think about an interesting subject for February.
Jim_Mercer wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm
with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
I do like my homemade mix of loam mixed with pebbles / rocks and rough sand too for many of my smaller plants.
User avatar
MatDz
BCSS Member
Posts: 996
Joined: 06 May 2020
Branch: None
Country: PL/GB
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by MatDz » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 pm

Jim_Mercer wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm
After a lot of checking in my Namaqualand book ( including the map that came with it) and even more searching via google especially for some of the names, no one has been awarded a NAS.

I did watch the recent zoom meeting on showing and judging but not sure how much of that applies to these entries as this is a Photo Competition not a plant show.

Aiko - I did like the 3rd picture of conophytum burgeri but usual problem with close up pictures of getting enough of the subject in focus, I would try a focus stack

Ali baba - not sure what it is (pachypodium namaquanum?) but short focal length of phone camera has helped get most of the image in focus (looked at exif data)

GiacomoP - Bulbine haworthioides is not among the bulbines in my book but habitat from Llifle puts in on the map. Just need a bit of quartz gravel to get the habitat look (almost back to the judging zoom meeting which seemed to make some form of top dressing a requirement for most points for presentation)

HaoBao - I would try and seperate the plants before taking the pictures - I even keep some pieces of card in my greenhouse to put behind plants when taking photographs

Ernie - very nice pot which I think is supposed to be ignored when judging but nicely staged plant, but looking clsely at the picture some the the flowers a blurred and there is one missing as one stem goes past the top of the image (was this a deliberate crop ?) There are a few ppictures of this plant in my book and it would appear that growing in the UK has produced a much paler plant than those in habitat (but it does look like my plant)

This month's winner is Aiko - with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
I wish I took some photographs of my Namaqualand plants just to receive such constructive feedback!

Which book are you referring to at the beginning?
Mat

Based in London, slowly expanding my modest C&S collection. In love with P. compactum & Co. and columnar Crassulas.
User avatar
MatDz
BCSS Member
Posts: 996
Joined: 06 May 2020
Branch: None
Country: PL/GB
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by MatDz » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Aiko wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Jim_Mercer wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm
with some bigger pieces of quartz the picture of Conophytum burgeri in flower would match image 140 on page 46 of my book
I do like my homemade mix of loam mixed with pebbles / rocks and rough sand too for many of my smaller plants.
The size of particles and overall appearance suit the Conos very well!
Mat

Based in London, slowly expanding my modest C&S collection. In love with P. compactum & Co. and columnar Crassulas.
User avatar
MatDz
BCSS Member
Posts: 996
Joined: 06 May 2020
Branch: None
Country: PL/GB
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by MatDz » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:54 pm

Jim_Mercer wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:23 pm
Same plant (Crassula ausensis ssp ausensis), just different approaches to taking photograph
[...]

focus stack
Is the blurred area around the plant on the image below caused by the focus stacking?

Image

(It's the last comment in a row, I promise!)
Mat

Based in London, slowly expanding my modest C&S collection. In love with P. compactum & Co. and columnar Crassulas.
GiacomoP
BCSS Member
Posts: 29
Joined: 15 Dec 2020
Branch: None
Country: Italy
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: January 2021 Namaqualand in my Greenhouse

Post by GiacomoP » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Aiko !!! Great! My compliments for the plants and the pictures!!
And thanks to Jim for the advice, I will try to find immediately some quarzitic gravel !
About your photo sequences is a well taken example how to improve the quality of a picture beside the beauty of the plants. I really appreciated a lot !
Giac
Post Reply